A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black Kitty Cat Hat - Now with a VERY rough basic pattern included  (Read 14053 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , cat , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Green Elevator

Green Elevator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2009 09:11:34 AM »

Ok we admit it... We are on a fast track to being crazy old cat ladies one day. We are huge cat fans here at Green Elevator, so we couldn't help making a Kitty Cat Hat. This hat was crocheted in the round with super thick soft yarn, has extra long ties and tassels, with kitty ears. We thought it would be perfect for Halloween, or just fun to celebrate cats and cuteness any chilly day of the year!

Thank you so much everyone!!

I've gotten a lot of questions and comments on this and my other "ear hats" on how I did it. I had a hard time with ear hats when I first tried to make them but I swear it's really easy! Here are some really rough directions on how to do it, I think I'm going to make a nice tutorial soon. I mean.. No one should have to suffer with out an ear hat!

Beanie Hat:
Chain 2
Stitch 5 Double Crochets in the first chain loop
Stitch 2 Double Crochets into each of the 5 stitches (this will leave you with 10)
Stitch 2 Double Crochets into each of the 10 stitches (this will leave you with 20)
Stitch 2 Double Crochets into each of the 20 stitches (this will leave you with 40)
Stitch 2 Double Crochets into every FOURTH stitch (this will leave you with 50) = 1 DC, 1 DC, 1 DC, 2 DC ::repeat to end::
Stitch 1 Double Crochet in each 50 stitches around and around until you reach the desired length.

Ears:
Crochet 4 triangles (I think mine were 12 across at the bottom). I believe I stitched two together on each side of every other row until I got to the desired height of my ears.
Stitch pink felt in the center of one triangle.
Single Crochet the edges of the 2 sets of triangles together (you can sew but I like to crochet to make the seams stronger) leaving the bottom open.
Stuff the ears with yarn, fabric, stuffing, what ever you like (I used shreds of foam stuffing).
Using a yarn needle, sew the ears to the top of the hat at the position you want them to be in.

Ear Flaps:
Decide how wide you want your ear flaps to be. I think mine were about 10 stitches to start with. At the bottom of your hat insert your hook where ever you want to start the ear flap, pull yarn through, and crochet the 10 stitches across.
Stitch two together, double crochet 6 across, Stitch 2 together. Next row, Stitch 2 together, double crochet 4 across, stitch 2 together.

Ties:
I folded over once piece of yarn so it was 2 strands thick to crochet with. Got a large hook, and chain stitched to desired length then looped through the bottom of the hat.

I'm sorry if that was all really confusing, but I hope that helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me! Smiley

Thanks for viewing! As always, questions and comments are welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 05:53:02 AM by Green Elevator - Reason: pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EssHaych
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 11:00:20 AM »

Love it! So cute! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.com
Blog: www.esshaych.blogspot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
lizzyemmcreith
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 11:00:53 AM »

That is so cute! I love the extra long ties too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indigo
Indigoing
Indigone
pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 11:04:22 AM »

very cute! the long ties are a great touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmadekitty
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 11:09:17 AM »

You look so cute ! I like you eye make up too !  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy: http://handmadekitty.etsy.com/
Blog: http://handmadekittyblog.blogspot.com/

I love crochet,knitting,sewing and everything handmade (*^▽^*).
crafty-minou

Meow Meow Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 12:34:27 PM »

Oh how I wish you sold the pattern to that! I'd love to make myself one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelayla82
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 09:50:08 PM »

This is always how I imagined a kitty hat to look like...never got it quite right though.  Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ariethine
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009 11:34:02 AM »

I know I'm going to be a crazy old cat lady someday!!  Wink I can't resist kittens, so once I get my own home, I'm sure I'll have a few additions here and there. But I'm also a ferret lover. But I LOVE your kitty hat. I never thought about crocheting a hat and putting kitty ears on it... but that's because I've only made one successful hat in my entire life.. and it wasn't even that great.  Smiley hehe... I LOVE the tassels and earflap things. I absolutely adore hats like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft and bake
Formerly known as FASHION_freak; member since October 21, 2006

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009 12:15:46 PM »

Adorable! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purple princess
Oh yeah! I'm a REAL princess!

I like to make a creative mess :o)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009 03:29:12 AM »

meow!

love it, the second picture is very funny  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

this too will pass
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dear Know It All Book Trailer
Jeffrey Deever Talks About How He Became an Author
Jeffrey Deever Talks About New Book XO
How to Maintain Your Diet During the Summer
Chuck Thompson on College Football in the South
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...