A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Experimenting with a shoebox turned loom...  (Read 1996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: October 25, 2009 03:23:55 AM »

I am way too clumsy with tiny beads to attempt anything similar to JAM4ever's gorgeous cuffs, I almost feel ashamed in posting my experiments near her post which I totally adore... so I decided ti experiment with something which sounded wayyyy simpler and more to my reach, which is a little "loom" made out of the lid of a shoebox, and a little pattern which I improvised as I went.
I had fun, so now I'm thinking about finding the right kind of beads (I used what I had on hand, but these are not really constant in the shape/size, and building a little loom of my own (I've got all of my dad's tools... why not use 'em?)

So, here it is:

the "pattern" was not really studied, so forgive it's a bit a mess...

weird lighting: you see the white beads are not transparent at all, while the two pinks are a little bit clear. Love the shadows, though.

now I'm off to the internet to search for "what to do now?Huh??", or better "how to finish it!". One vid I saw finished it off by sealing the ends underneath and stitching the beaded thing over a felt cuff... but I'm not too sure about that. Any suggestion?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 06:30:28 AM »

I love your idea....have arthritis setting in fingers it make it hard to hold tiny beads and what a cool way of them not hitting the floor, and trying to find them.  I may have to use this idea.  Thank you for sharing and do not feel ashamed, it helps all of us out especially if there is something we really like to do but are afraid.  You rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imokaynow
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 09:28:26 AM »

Alhrayth, this looks fantastic. I started working with a loom when I was learning to do beadwork and eventually moved onto the peyote stitch (the one used to make the cuffs). Finishing on a loom isn't always the easiest but if you are making this as a cuff, I would recommend using two pieces of leather or something sturdy like that and using one for the backing and gluing down the strings to the underside of one and fastening another piece of leather on the back. That would probably be the sturdiest and the most traditional but this is one of those areas that you need to find what works best for you. Keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holiday Specials Now Listed!  http://smerchant.etsy.com
beaderjojo
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 06:13:09 AM »

Pretty! You're doing great so far. I bet after doing loomwork for a little while you'll have no problem doing peyote stitch.
I've only done one loomwork piece in my life so I can't offer too much info on finishing in the threads - however this might help you out for next time. http://www.bead-patterns.com/shop/shop.php?method=itemnumber&keywords=15873
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What 21st Century Librarians Are Wearing
Lana Del Rey Styles Up a Summer-Perfect Mini Dress on Stage
Tips for Flawless Fourth of July Looks
Slip Your Feet Into These Four Stylish Summer Sandals
How to Wear the Neon Trend for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...