A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: costume- please help!  (Read 2644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toki45
« on: October 24, 2009 07:46:27 PM »

Hey there craftsers, I need some help/advice. What would you think I am dressed as based on this?

Okay now that you've formed your own opinion, I am going for: Native American. Pocahontas, in fact. I based what I made off this outfit Pocahontas wears in the movie The New World:

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I just look like a cavewoman.
Any ideas on how to make it look more obvious?

Oh, and the feathers are on a solid backing, but I was going to add a tank top/ dress/something to make it less revealing, but I want to know if it's worth putting more effort into or not before I keep going.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009 07:47:19 PM by toki45 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009 07:53:58 PM »

The easiest thing to do would be to put some feathers in your hair. I know it's cliche, but it's also very recognizable.

Great work on the breastplate, btw! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edenkitty
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009 08:25:12 PM »

What about some face or body Paint? Or some turquoise jewelry or at least some faux turquoise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 11:36:45 PM »

That piece looks fantastic!!!
If you don't want it, post it to me. Cheesy

I think really clean, soft feminine makeup and lipgloss is the way to go. You can go the classic Indian warpaint too.
I see you've got long hair? If you make sure it's nice and conditioned and smooth, it'll look Pocahontas as opposed to frizzy wild cavewoman hair.

If the weather allows, don't add a tanktop or anything, I think it'll only detract from the overall. Unless you've got a tan/brown one that will meld well with the colour of the feathers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 06:40:31 AM »

When I saw it I thought early native american. Cheesy if you pair that with a skirt that is fringed, but cut evenly and carefully rather than jagged or ripped, you will definitely not look like a cavewoman. i also agree with doing some sort of native body paint or jewelry. ps i love love love the shape and consistency in what you've got already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 10:25:32 AM »

Just passing along a fun fact. We visited Jamestown recently and the guide told us that the Powhattan Indians (of which Pocahontas was a memeber) went naked all year round. The men wore deerskins when they hunted only. They also bathed in the river every day of the year. Now it it fairly moderate in Virginia, but still, we get winter temperatures in the 20s and teens sometimes, so that is pretty cold to go naked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
jiasaykea
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009 12:53:15 PM »

Braid or wear your hair super smooth. Otherwise great work on the costume, looks amazing so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are pretty, we are smart, we've got crafting in the heart.

http://www.wists.com/jiasaykea
toki45
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 06:52:57 AM »

Thanks everyone!
I think I'm going to go the braided pigtails and/or feathers in the hair route, and maybe war paint, I have some native american-looking turquoise and silver jewelery but it just doesn't look right with the brown tones of the feathers and hemp, I think.
I bought some brown suede-y fabric and hopefully the rest of the outfit will come together easily!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 11:53:25 AM »

Braided hair with a headband that goes around on your forehead would go well...have you considered a shell necklace, a simple shell pendant hanging from a leather string would go well, I would think, ...or maybe a braided leather choker that's not too heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefoxxx4312
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 04:56:06 PM »

if you dont mind explaining, i'd love to know how you made that breastplate. i'm not asking for a tutorial, i'm just wondering did you glue the feathers to a band or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Analyze and Group Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Build Your Own Bridge in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Enable Color Management in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use the Bridge CS3 in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Manage Colors in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...