A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Hammocks  (Read 24096 times)
Tags for this thread: cat , cat_bed , featured_project , holiday_gifts_for_pets  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JDo84
« on: October 24, 2009 07:35:59 PM »

After a fellow volunteer sent me a picture of a hammock she saw in a pet store in Edmonton, I started making hammocks for the cats at the humane society where I volunteer.

The cats LOVE them!

Here are a few pictures of them:

Rayne, Peach, Hope, Faith & Joy (All adopted): This is the first hammock I made. The straps are sewn out of fabric and I bought clips for the end but they were quite expensive, and it was a pain to get the fabric turned right side in after it was sewn since it was so narrow, so on the next ones I just used dog leashes that I bought for $1 as straps. That way the clasps were built in! They are pretty simple to make. It's just two pieces of fabric with a layer of quilt batting in between and dog leashes at each corner. I have done several at different lengths based on which cages they go into.

Krispie (Available for adoption)

Fern & Her Kittens (available for adoption)

The hammocks are suspended by the wire on the tops of the communal cat cages, as well as the tops of the single wire condos. I have sold a few at the local craft fair but I have yet to figure out a way to hang them from anywhere in my house!

Here are a few videos a fellow volunteer took of a couple of cats enjoying each others company in a hammock. Yes, Porthos is quite popular with the ladies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdOkrlTc8c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhRkLfWk_8

And..on the off chance anyone is looking for a new furry companion please check out the Meadow Lake & District Humane Society (Located in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada). We do long distance adoptions! We've had quite a few adoptions out of town, out of province, and out of country! We had a couple dogs adopted to New York, a dog adopted to Washington, and a cat adopted to San Fransisco!
www.mldhs.petfinder.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009 07:55:53 PM »

That is such a great idea!  I can't get over all those kittens loaded into them!   Grin 

If I didn't have my Sonja (see avatar), and lived any where near Saskatchewan, that little Krispie would be coming home to live with me -- what a beauty! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfaerie
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009 08:07:13 PM »

AWWWW!  Okay, I want all of them.  Can you ship to SC tomorrow?  lol

In all seriousness, though, we're at our limit with two cats (we actually have helped rehome friends cats, and I'm super proud we resisted taking them in as well) due to financial limitations.  I hope all these find wonderful homes.

And I agree with Sonjaboo, Krispie is such a little dear!  I love Siamese and Asian kitties, I love how loud they can be, kinda like me!

Regarding the craft, this looks so awesome for the kitties.  I want to make something like this for our cats, but we, naturally, don't keep them in cages.  Any ideas how to make a similar thing that maybe attaches to the walls?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 08:16:57 PM »

Oh my!  Cuteness overload here!  Great job on the hammocks.  I have seen ferrets sleep in these but for some reason never thought of kittens.   

I would love to know how you got all of those kittens in the third photo to cooperate for picture time!  wowsa!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009 11:08:44 PM »

awesome idea! i may try one of these and maybe my handsome will sleep in it instead of the crib!!

so nice to meet a fellow saskatchewanian on craftster! down in weyburn here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Le Mieux
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 03:02:08 AM »

OMG.

talk about cute overload!!! i never imagined cats would enjoy hammocks.....these are exactly the type i have for my ferrets! i live in france but oh dear lord - i want them all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
bibe
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009 05:25:49 AM »

Regarding the craft, this looks so awesome for the kitties.  I want to make something like this for our cats, but we, naturally, don't keep them in cages.  Any ideas how to make a similar thing that maybe attaches to the walls?

When I saw this project, I immediately got thinking to where I could hang a hammock as well. One thing that came to mind is that I have wire closet organizers in my closets, something like this http://www.baytherminsulation.com/images/reach-in_white%20wire.jpg
which I think would work similar to the cages. My cat already sleeps in the closet at night anyway on my clothes, I'd much rather it was a hammock.

Thanks for sharing JDo84.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009 09:18:54 AM by kittykill - Reason: Image hotlinked » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagged
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009 02:04:58 PM »

Great job on the hammocks.  I'd like to see video on how the cats jump in.  

I was wondering if binder rings (the loose ones) would work for attaching the hammocks to the wire cages?  Here is a picture of what I mean  http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/product_images/63073.jpg

I'd like to make some for the Regina shelter, but they don't have wire cages.   Undecided
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 02:09:55 PM by jagged » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009 09:18:24 PM »

Very cute and the kitties seem very happy! It always breaks my heart to see animals without a permanent home. I hope they all find a happy and loving place to live.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
hipmama1970
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 12:12:48 AM »

Oh my heck those are cute! What a brilliant idea! I'd like to see how they get in and out of them, too. I'm trying to imagine how far off the ground they should be.

I wish I could take all of your kitties home. But, we already have 3 kitties and a dog from our local shelter, and we can't squeeze many more in. It breaks my heart to see animals without homes.  Cry One of our kitties and our dog had been abused before they came here (grrrrrrrrr!) and I'm so glad the shelter worked with them to find a home, they really are neat animals but the needed a lot of time to warm up. The kitty that was abused would love a hammock, I think, she loves to find little cozy places and make a nest there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...