A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Could this nasty curb chair be rescued? - A Cinderella Story.  (Read 10969 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , reupholstery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scissorbrit
« on: October 24, 2009 11:44:36 AM »

A friend found this nasty curb chair a few days before her wedding and left it in our yard to come back for it later. She was I guess planning to put a blanket or something over it or try to ask some tips on reupholstry (we're all young and broke here) so I thought I could do something for her for a little wedding present. The fabric was 15 shekels a meter and I used two meters and have a bit left over to hopefully make a clutch for my sister.

I ripped off all the old and disgusting fabric with a kitchen knife and a pair of regular pliers and had a hell of a time with a really crappy staple gun. Sanded all the wood as best I could with two pieces of sandpaper and gave it a few coats with spray paint before finishing it with a spray varnish, waiting a day and then stretching the fabric. Used a sewing machine where needed on the inside and am still working on sewing the piping in by hand (Stupidly done, I should have sewed it to the bottom fabric but didn't know exactly
how it would fit at the time.)

The color is much prettier in life I think, richer maroon-ish pink but it isn't showing up well on camera... I am really hoping she likes it!!!

After

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009 11:50:24 AM by scissorbrit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009 11:59:12 AM »

Wow! That looks amazing! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
scissorbrit
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009 12:06:01 PM »

Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
reavesad

Finally my love of crafts is understood :-P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 12:29:49 PM »

Oh my gosh, who wouldn't LOVE it?!?

It looks beautiful and if I had seen the finished product and never ssen the before pics I would've never guessed of it's past life lol

Do you have to learn to upholster in order to do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone interested in a personal swap?
rileyartie
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009 12:36:58 PM »

I love the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karimusbunch

details, details, details. it's gonna work out.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009 01:02:21 PM »

that looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scissorbrit
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009 02:09:38 PM »

Oh my gosh, who wouldn't LOVE it?!?

It looks beautiful and if I had seen the finished product and never ssen the before pics I would've never guessed of it's past life lol

Do you have to learn to upholster in order to do it?

I didn't learn how except through experience (and this is only my second time doing it). I watched one Youtube video to kind of get the idea, then just started turning chairs over to see how they were put together. It is suprisingly easy. Just turn the chair over and follow the fabric. I took the staples out with a pair of pliers and a knife (couldn't find a flat head screwdriver) and then you'll just see how the chair is put together. Try not to rip the old upholstery because you use it to trace out the new cloth you want to use. then put the thing back together in the same way you took it apart, only this time using the new fabric.
   Also, as I noticed from the first chair i did with a silky fabric, use something thick, or maybe even fabric meant for upholstery (too expensive for me) or else the fabric will stretch and start to kind of come up from the hidden staples. Also, use a lot of staples. Also, try to get a decent staple gun, the one I have is such a piece of trash and I got blisters on my hand from it. Jams every second staple and most of them wouldn't even pierce to wood until the 10th try. Something that should have taken 20 mins took an hour and a half, from reloading the damn thing and fixing jams, and throwing away staples that didn't even pierce the wood.

Thats it! and you can sand and paint stuff before hand if you want. Be careful of bug families in furniture you find though :/ do all the removing of cloth outside so there aren't suddenly bugs dropping into your carpet. gross
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009 08:16:09 PM »

That is a seriously amazing transformation.  I never would have looked at that chair twice beforehand, but would definitely buy the one you refinished!  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stangsom
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009 12:49:07 AM »

I love transforming old furniture! You're chair is GORGEOUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hatshepsut
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009 01:56:48 AM »

Wowww!!  I LOOOOVE it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Managing Large Files in CS4
Brush Resize in Photoshop CS4
Enhanced Smart Objects - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Printing - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Camera Raw 5.0 - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...