A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
853 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Realizing selling crafts isn't for you...  (Read 1162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scraparcs
Reads both ways

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2009 12:30:02 AM »

Anyone else ever just suddenly realize that selling crafts and crafty items just wasn't for them?  I love coming up with ideas, but I dislike dealing with having to bring them to fruition.  I don't want to run a business after working all day.  It's not lucrative enough as is, and the only way to get it to that point would be to focus on one crafty segment and start making my items so formulaic that they drive me crazy. 

Who else is in this boat?  I need crafty relaxation, not crafty stress. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaze into my pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/saguarosally/
princesskill
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009 12:31:43 PM »

i think its totally fair. crafts, when done to unwind, on your own timeline is an awesome de-stresser. trying to make stock, attend craft sales, and make the same thing over and over again is not relaxing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

live to craft, craft to live
scraparcs
Reads both ways

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 12:18:24 AM »

I wonder if my biggest issue might be that I'm tired of timelines.  I don't mind the occasional craft timeline (such as an occasional craft fair) but the constant shipping timelines of a shop have worn me down, I think. 

Time to think about this and maybe just start doing craft fairs sometimes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 06:45:57 AM »

I was in the same boat. I think my biggest thing is that I got so caught up in the idea of making a living off my crafts that when it came to actually putting it into action, I realised that the market it too competitive and it simply wasn't viable (mainly because the creation of the products was too time consuming that I would've had to sell them at a ridiculous price that nobody is willing to pay).

Not to mention the amount of marketing research and business planning that needed to be done in order to make the business successful - it's not as simple as listing an item on a site or creating your own website and just leaving at that.

Meh, I think sticking to it as hobby is enough for me. I do have the tendency to dislike things when I'm obligated to do it - it's just how my brain works lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 09:52:40 AM »

I love making bags, but hate the packaging and shipping. What a drag. And keeping track of expenses I've never liked. I'm thinking I want to do craft shows, too instead of Etsy and the like. All the photo taking and description writing just sucks my time away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009 09:46:33 AM »

I love, love, love to make stuff, but I hate, hate, hate having to market it & going up to businesses or people & asking them if they want to buy my stuff. I don't like writing things down & keeping track of stuff. I sucked at selling Mary Kay & Tupperware because of that. That's why I like Etsy & it's concept, even tho my sales are slow, I'm still getting my stuff out there w/o all the typical stuff you go thru in sales. That's prob why I'm not making a lot of money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009 08:44:43 PM »

I'm with you on this one.  I was totally gung-ho on my Etsy shop this summer, devoting hours a day to it even while I was at work.  I got pregnant in August, and got super tired all the time after I'd come home--so tired I could barely make dinner--and to be honest, my interest in my shop has just gone way down.  Even though I'm not as dead tired anymore, I still am somehow just not in the mood to do anything more with it, except check to see if any orders filtered in.  I even made a few new listings and didn't bother putting them up because I just don't feel like it.  It's like I have this mental block, but I'm not being lazy; I swear!!  I guess my mind subconciously realized selling my stuff wasn't for me. 

It doesn't help that when you do sell your stuff, through any venue let alone just Etsy, you have to be promoting it just as much, if not more than the time you spend making stuff.  I also noticed that there really isn't a market for what I sell, and call me crazy, but I felt pressured after a while.  I felt pressured that everything I made had to be absolutely perfect (perfection has nothing to do with high quality).  Crafting with that awful feeling in the back of your mind shouldn't be.  I think that's actually why I lost some of my interest in crafting in general, unfortunately.

The sales on my Etsy shop really weren't an incentive to pick myself off the couch to post new things either.  Totally unreliable, and for about 3 and a half months of hard, nose to the grindstone work & promotion, I got 2 sales.  Sorry to be a bit frank, just sharing my experience for others who may feel the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
scraparcs
Reads both ways

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009 03:45:40 PM »

Wow, I hear you all.  There are just things that I realize I don't want to work past sometimes.  I'm starting to enjoy working more on crafts as a hobby, and maybe next year I'll get out to some craft fairs, but that's it.  Who knows what the future holds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classicseamstress
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009 06:05:39 PM »

Crafting seems to be a popular trend right now.  Running any kind of business requires a lot of work.  Perhaps you could find someone to work with you that enjoys the administrative end of things.
The economy isn't particularly good right now and many people would rather buy inexpensive mass produced items rather than handmade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009 08:44:10 AM »

It's a shame that the crafting boom has come along at the same time with the economy slump. The two just don't mesh well, since handmade is always going to cost more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dan Gordon Discusses His Book Postcards from Heaven
Michael Hastings on His Book I Lost My Love in Baghdad
Dark Horse Book Trailer by Ralph Reed
Anthony Dias Blue Talks About Pocket Guide to Wine
The Bell Messenger Book Trailer by Robert Cornuke
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...