A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Mechanical Doll Costume Help! Your Creative Ideas Are Much Appreciated!  (Read 613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retrolola
« on: October 23, 2009 12:44:42 PM »

Hi there,

Ok, so Halloween is a week away and Iím so up to my ears crafting decorations for my All Hallowís Eve party, that Iíve neglected any time for my costume. Iím going to be a mechanical dollógot a great circle skirt dress with bib apron and a tulle skirt to make it poof out. Iím making a wind-up key out of foam core to stick into a mini disco ball (so it will REALLY turn!), which Iíll sew into the back of my dress, but I still want more!

Iíd like to make my jaw and joints looked hinged by screws, but not sure how to do this in a 3D way. Drawing screws at my elbows, knees, wrists and jaw would look ok, but Iíd rather do something more dramatic. Iím going for a creepy looking vintage doll look, and I need help figuring out how to fashion these screws and how to attach them to my body.

Also, any makeup tips would be much appreciated! Iím thinking white makeup on my face, arms and neck, and cartoonishly pink cheeks and lips?

Thanks so much for any ideas and help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasboh
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009 02:14:04 PM »

heres my 2 cents, take some bolts, cut off the pointy part Wink and use spirit gum to attach. hope this helps  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
makeaneffort
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 08:24:44 AM »

ive not seen bolts but zips attached to face look on you tube and you should be able to get a good idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 01:31:30 PM »

check out this guys instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Frankenstein-bolts---for-nearly-free!/

You could modify this idea to make it look more like doll joints.  I would use spirit gum to attach them instead of wires, or maybe ribbon.  They would be less likely to fall off if they are tied on.

Or, I saw frakenstein's monster's bolts for sale at several halloween stores, you could try those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Long Layered Hairstyles
How to Do Fancy Hairstyles
How to Do Red Carpet Hairstyles
How to Do Urban Hairstyles
How to Do Teased Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...