A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Really old Singer  (Read 897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dewberry89
« on: October 23, 2009 12:21:45 PM »

Hey,
I've sort of inherited a really old electric singer machine. I know how to use new machines but never used anything like this. I'm going to use some scrap material and see if I can get it working but I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone knows how to use it or if anyone has any general tips on using old machines?

I'm not sure if it has a model number, it says "99k"on a little plaque on the arm near the base and a long number on the base itself (looks more like a serial number or something than a model number)
here's a pic anyway, incase anyone recognises it Smiley

(its still really dusty Cheesy )
Any help is appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009 12:27:06 PM »

Yep, that's a model 99.  Looks like a model 99-31 specifically. The "k" indicates that it was made in Kilbowie, Scotland

More info here:

Classic Singer 99 Vintage Sewing Machine Review

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009 01:48:28 PM »

Looks a lot like mine(though mine is older I think). They can be a bit temperamental but only in that they insist on being cared for. Make sure to keep it free of dust(once it's clean) and oiled and it will work hard for you.
If it has any hiccups a tuneup would be well worth it. Mine will sew through 8 layers of denim. Though I've only done that once. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009 01:48:57 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 10:40:02 AM »

Just had to comment on the 8 layers of denim.. thats BEASTLY!! The newer plastic ones aren't as sturdy in my opinion as I'm using an old Viking. (who recently hates me and my newest project) but I have used a newer one and it was easier. From my experience the older ones need a bit more knowleged (proper threading, different knobs, more tension issues (at least for me) ) but if you get to know if it and take care of it they are reliable and work great. I'm hoping to get my mom's old singer which folds up into a nice case. little portable ancient guy, so cute. Best of luck with your new old machine Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 01:22:47 PM »

oh oh oh!! I have THREE 99's ( 99k, 99-15).. they are the BEST little workhorses, and I suspect they love the abuse. I regularly used mine to sew through multiple layers of heavy fabrics and such even leather. They made a bunch of foot attachments for them too, EBay my dear!

Even though they only do straight stitching, the old (old, OLD) Singers, Black Fantastiks as I like to call em, are indeed GREAT little machines to work on. You'll love it, It's the machine I always recommend to beginners because you simply CAN NOT break them (well almost, lol)

Enjoy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AimeeRose
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009 09:25:07 AM »

I bought a model 99 late this summer, because I HATED the Singer CG550 I bought just two short years ago.  Really, they are very basic machines.  They excel at what they were designed to do...produce a quality straight stitch.  I loved this "pony" sized machine so much, I located and bought a full-sized 201-2 which I am now getting aquainted with.  Enjoy your new machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Out a Manga Couple
How to Create 3D Graffiti
How to Write Graffiti Letter E
How to Write Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw an Embarrassed Face Manga Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...