A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with layering MP . . . and ingredient label question  (Read 1348 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009 10:12:15 AM »

Happy Friday, all!!  Is it just me, or is it unbelievable that we're almost to Halloween, already?

On to my questions . . . I used an old tupperware as a loaf mold, and tried making a 3-layer MP soap.  Unfortunately, when I went to slice it (with a big knife, as I do not have a miter box/ slicer), some of the slices fell apart into their component layers.   For one of the layers, I used a shea butter MP base;  the other two were the clear all-natural base . . . would that have anything to do with it?  Or would pouring temperature/ temperature of the layer already in the mold have more to do with it?   What did I do WRONG?

Also . . . as I'm gearing up for this big craft fair here in a few weeks (SQUEEE!), I am starting to create labels, including ingredient labels/ lists for my soaps.  Do I have to do the ingredients in the Latin/ scientific "unreadable-ease" such as "sodium cocoate," or can I just do it in plain freakin' English like "coconut oil"?  I'd prefer to make it easy for people to actually read and understand what goes into my soaps, and having everything in the technical language seems to defeat that purpose.

Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009 03:29:02 PM »

Okay, three things:

1) I think you meant all-organic melt and pour base, rather than all-natural. The two words are NOT synonymous, and while melt & pour base is awesome, it's not natural. (Much like Bigfoot, I hear stories of this fabled all-natural MP base and I have NEVER seen it, nor seen anyone use it)

2) Part of your problem may be layering clear & opaque bases. I have found that 90% of the time the two do NOT layer together. In fact one of my suppliers (I think either MMS or WSP) flat-out tells you to NOT combine the two. I would just use the clear base, and then add white colorant (titanium dioxide) and then whatever color you want (pink, blue, orange) to achieve an opaque look. Does that make sense? (I'm on hold with AT&T so I'm not sure if I'm typing as I'm thinking)

3) I tend to label with common ingredients because people see scientific names and freak. For one thing most people don't automatically know what a scientific name is, and I have had more than one customer assume scientific = dangerous synthetic. *eye roll* Of course with MP, you will have a few synthetic ingredients on your labels anyway. Smiley

Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009 04:48:44 PM »

I will point out that to be completely legal to sell, you should use the correct INCI names. But I know not all of us do that. (do as I say, not as I do??)

One option to be legal and still not confuse the customer is to put the familiar name in parentheses.
Ingredients: Sodium Cocoate (Coconut Oil), etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009 05:57:02 PM »

as Nymeria said it could be the base compatibility-be sure to check with your supplier..

also are you spritzing alcohol between your layers??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009 07:49:58 PM »

as Nymeria said it could be the base compatibility-be sure to check with your supplier..

also are you spritzing alcohol between your layers??

Oooh, good question! Totally forgot about that! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bpddjeoomon
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 01:46:46 AM »

I agree with the other comments about clear/opaque and spritzing alcohol between layers.

Also, make sure all the layers are the same BRAND of mp soap, because different brands cool at different rates, which can cause the layers to come apart.

And definitely allow the soap to cool by itself at room temp.  Sticking it in the fridge or freezer (some people do this) will cause them to pull apart as well.

Most people don't have these issues, but I thought I'd throw them out there just in case (one time I ran out of some soap and ran to the store to grab some more, not even thinking about the brand, and this totally happened to me.  Boo.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 11:28:50 AM »

Thanks for all the responses.  On my own, I realized that temperature might be a factor, as I was cutting into an experiment I'd been doing (layers related) that I'd just taken out of the freezer.  I guess being in the freezer can make the soap more rigid/ less flexible, which is definitely a drawback for layers. 

I made some labels this weekend, and decided to do the "scientific name" (common name) format.  The only drawback to that, is that some of my ingredient lists, the ones with herbal additives and stuff, end up really long.  Sigh.  Oh, well. I had fun playing around with Photoshop to make my labels all snazzy and bright Smiley  Too bad they haven't invented "glitter inks" for inkjet printers . . . Wink

Sorry if that's slightly OT . . . very sleep deprived at this pont.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Nymeria

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 11:31:02 AM »

Hrm, this gives me an idea of something I want to add to the FAQ!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009 04:24:43 AM »

I'm so glad I read this! I was planning on layering coconut MP with olive MP... which looks weird in writing but anyways now I think I'll change my plans just incase it screws up. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
MassSoapgirl
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010 12:48:29 PM »

Also . . . as I'm gearing up for this big craft fair here in a few weeks (SQUEEE!), I am starting to create labels, including ingredient labels/ lists for my soaps.  Do I have to do the ingredients in the Latin/ scientific "unreadable-ease" such as "sodium cocoate," or can I just do it in plain freakin' English like "coconut oil"?  I'd prefer to make it easy for people to actually read and understand what goes into my soaps, and having everything in the technical language seems to defeat that purpose.Thanks! 

Especially where you will be selling your soaps, it is super important to correctly label them!! INCI is a system of names for waxes,oils,pigments,chemicals, and other ingredients of soaps, cosmetics, and the like based on scientific names and other  latin and english words. INCI names are mandated on the ingredient statement of every consumer personal care product to allow consumer to indentify the ingredient content. So you can list the INCI name and then the commen name in parathesis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 1 of 8
How to Make a Sushi Roll
How to Make Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...