A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question regarding sewing leather with a machine.  (Read 999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kristov
« on: August 02, 2009 12:20:38 AM »

I was recommended on this forum by a friend who frequents here, and was quite helpful for showing me the path to information.

Long story short, I have a Domestic Rotary 153 sewing machine. I think I have found the manuel online for threading and whatnot, but working with leather makes me a tad cautious. I have done patterns, and using an awl sewn many leather projects in the past, but I'm curious if you have any words of advice. I know I need leather needles (which slice versus puncture) and it was recommended I use polyester thread for its strength, but are there any other ideas? I did a search on here, but my search-fu is weak. There are also numerous accessories, which I will post pics of later today, that I have no clue what they are for. Some are feet, for zippers and such as my friend had said, but others look like some strange torture device.

Sorry, long ramble. Basically do you guys have any tips, or tricks in converting my lighter sewing projects onto this machine? I havenever used a sewing machine but this would speed up the lighter leather stitching ten fold easily.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any and all information or advise you have.

-Kris

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evil triumphs, when good men do nothing.

Visit my Etsy store for quality "dark" leather goods: www.FleshCrafters.etsy.com
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009 05:01:04 AM »

Well... since you say you've never used a sewing machine before, the first thing you should do is become familiar with the machine.  Use scraps of different materials and try the different needle sizes to get the feeling of how they work and why the manual recommend ones or others with different fabrics.  Play with it for a while, try several lengths of stitch, do some light work, like small handkerchiefs or napkins decorated with the stitches you have available.  Like making a sampler.  You already know in leather corrections show, so it's best if you already know what to expect once you start pushing the pedal.
I have not tried leather YET (but I have tried plastic and false leather), and I've been looking around for some good tips for when I get the courage and try.  In this page I found a very nice guide to sewing leather with a regular machine:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2038402_sew-leather-standard-sewing-machine.html
Also in the shoe section here they might have more tips to share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Kristov
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 01:18:51 AM »

Well, after doing some more searching online, and with soorawn, my friend, and my local Joann fabrics, I will be attempting my first sewing project. Not sure what it is yet, but I'll figure it out shortly. Hopefully I'll be showing things off in the relative future!

Thanks again to soorawn and Beckie (whatever your account name is...) for the point in the right direction Cheesy

-Kris
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy store for quality "dark" leather goods: www.FleshCrafters.etsy.com
melloellow
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 06:56:27 AM »

Good luck! Way to stick with your goal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristov
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009 01:25:23 AM »

Sadly still trying to get that old machine running. I suppose I could break down and order a manuel, but i'm far to stubborn to do that. I have gotten the proper needles, re-oiled the machine, and have the proper thread and whatnot. The real issue now is the lower bobbin. It is a very strange design, and nobody locally seems to know how it assembles properly. I'll post some pics (hopefully tomorrow, erm today) and maybe you nice folks can help me. Thus far i have had two friends that are good with sewing machines take a look at it, and we couldn't get it working.

On a sidenote however, I have many, many projects I need to post up here soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nolazombie
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009 11:52:39 PM »

I'd advise that you learn the ins and outs of sewing with your machine before you try sewing leather.  Leather really isn't that hard to sew, but getting to know your machine on simpler fabrics will probably save you a lot of frustration and expense in the long run. 

What kind of things do you want to make? I could give you some tips for working with lighter/thinner/fashiony leathers, but if you're planning on making saddles and motorcycle chaps I don't know how helpful they would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristov
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009 01:38:44 AM »

Really the stuff I'm shooting for is bags, maybe costume stuff, belts, possibly wallets, etc. Nothing too crazy.

I totally agree with learning the ins and outs, especially when doing leather stuff, but can't even do that yet with it not properly set up. I did find a local guy to help me, but he charges $85 to even look at it to help, not to mention it is a built into a desk, and far too large to move easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009 07:28:07 AM »

Domestic/ household sewing machines are only desgined to sew clothing weight leather.  If you want to sew heavier lethaer, you'll need a specialized machine. Depending on the weight of the leather, You''l want something like a Tippman Boss or Consew 206RB.

Here's a video for sewing clothingweight leather on a household machine.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/tvt010.asp

Industrial, Commercial Grade, Professional, Industrial Strength & More- Sewing Machine Buying Guide
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
The Debutante Ball 2013: Party at the Automobile Club in Paris
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 3
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 2
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...