A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In the market for buying a machine. [Babylock]  (Read 3270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stakie
« on: October 10, 2009 03:25:43 PM »

That's right a new machine for my sewing needs. I am pretty set on getting a Grace. It has very good reviews, but if I was to get it.. I wouldn't want to take it out of my home. So I was thinking of getting a maria to travel with, but I don't want a new one.

So anyway, what i am asking is your thoughts on the grace? Is it worth my 500?

What are your thoughts on the Maria formally know as the Design pro?

Anybody know a good place to find good used babylocks online? I've been looking on some classifieds sites with no luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eems_reeses
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009 09:11:47 PM »

I really love my grace! I got it this past January and have been sewing like a fiend on it ever since. Why wouldn't you want to take it out of your house?? I've taken my to my friends a bunch when we've gotten together to sew. I would say the grace is definitely worth the money, you could probably get it cheaper around Christmas (I think I got mine for close to 350-400). I love the top loading bobbin, needle threader, the stitches, and most all, I NEVER have any problems with it. It's a charm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stakie
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009 01:29:53 AM »

If and when I am able to get the grace, I wouldn't want to take it out, because it would be in places like a camp ground and on farms in the middle of no where. I would rater have something that I could beat up to lug around with me to those places.

I want the grace to stay at home with me, be my main sewing machine. It seems to be a wonderful machine. I think I am going to wait until black friday  to pick one up actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seward
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 07:47:24 PM »

The Grace is a pretty durable little machine.  Unless you're going to be rolling in the mud with it, you shouldn't have much problem.  If you really want a mechanical machine for travel, though, I personally prefer the Maria over, say, the Natalie, if only for the one-step buttonhole.  They're real workhorses.  I've put both through ten, maybe twelve, layers of denim, and they sewed through like a hot knife through butter.  Just make sure you're using the right needle for the fabric and high-quality thread if you want top-end results.  (I sell Baby Locks professionally, btw.  I know the machines inside and out.)

PLEASE keep in mind that not all Baby Lock presser feet will work on both the Grace and the Maria.  Your BL dealer can help you with questions, or I can check the reference guide at work.  I know the Teflon Foot will work on both.  IIRC, the Maria and Natalie are type H.  The difference is in the feed dogs:  on the Grace and the other BL computerized machines, the feed dogs are 7mm apart; the Maria and Natalie only have a 5mm base.  A foot that gives correct pressure on one width won't necessarily work for the other.

Poke me if you have any questions!  What I don't know I can find out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Rock 1 Chic Pair of Tuxedo Pants
7 Ways to Wear One Party Dress
Simon Doonan Makes Gift Giving for Your Special Lady Magical
How to Get Alessandra Ambrosio Winter Look
Best Dressed With Petra Nemcova
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...