A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: double knitting - what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 22, 2009 06:45:54 PM »

I am started my second knitting project and decided on a double knit scarf that I found on ravelry that can also be found here http://www.craftychickonline.com/Knit%20Star%20Scarf.htm

I made sure during the cast on that my MC was on the right and my CC was on the left as she states. But for some reason whether I knit the first stitch and every other stitch after or purl the first stitch and every other stitch after it ends up with purls on both sides instead of the v's. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried searching you tube but don't seem to show the getting started process. Is there a step that needs to be done between casting on and knitting the first stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009 07:30:08 PM »

do you have a photo of your piece? are you alternating rows of knit and purl like you would for regular stockinette stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
pookiemccool

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009 07:56:45 PM »

I don't currently because I ripped it out. But I started knitting the first stitch, purling the second stitch.. etc. And on the next row I would purl the first stitch and knit the second stitch. Is that what I should be doing?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009 07:57:05 PM by ohiodiygirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009 01:39:09 AM »

Does this video help?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques (there's one about double knitting futher down on the page)

I've never done double knitting but it might be easier seeing it than trying to understand by reading it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wendie
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009 01:50:21 PM »

I haven't had much luck myself with double knitting yet but from what I remember you are actually only  knitting one side at a time.  For example for the first row you would knit the first stitch, slip the second, and so on then on the way back you would slip the stitches that were knit and knit the stiches that were slipped. 
Again, this is what I remember from my attempt at double knitting, which didn't go well.  I kept getting off count.  This was also a while ago when I was less experienced.  I've been meaning to try it again but have to get other projects done before I attempt something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009 05:53:52 PM »

That's the way I learned double knitting, single color, one strand and no 'pictures' knit into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Tephra
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009 09:19:50 PM »

Okay, you cast on with both yarns carefully so the the colors are always MC-CC-MC-CC across. Then you have both yarns in back and knit the first MC loop with just the MC yarn. Bring both yarns forward and purl the CC loop with just the CC yarn. You've only used one cast on stitch but you have made two stitches, the MC knit is the front of the scarf and the CC purl is on the back. Continue to the end of the row, it's like knitting 1x1 rib with the knits always being MC and the purls always being CC.

The next row you knit with the CC and purl with the MC. Until you get to the part where you start making stars it's simply "work them as you see them" if the stitch to be worked looks like a knit in MC you knit it with MC.

Until you have a couple rows done it is really hard to see the stitches because the knits and purls want to be in the same spot.

When you get to the chart remember that every box in the chart is actually two stitches, a knit and a purl, because you are knitting the front and the back at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009 03:00:17 PM »

Always knit the colour facing you, always purl the colour NOT on the front at the time.  It's pretty much this simple.  So if the main colour is Black, and the backside is white, you'd knit the black, and purl the white.  When it's time to switch (as in following a chart) the opposite would be true.  I know it's complicated at the start, but once you do a bit you'll see that all you're really doing is knitting 2 pieces at once, and as in any piece, you knit the right side (the front) and you purl the wrong side (the back). 

As Tephra said, remember that in charting, each block is 2 stitches instead of one, because you are knitting 2 pieces at once!  (It's still just one row per block though).

I hope this has been helpful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sera unravled
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009 04:51:03 PM »

you always want to knit your first stitch.  The reason you were not getting v's is because you were knitting the first stitch on the first row and then purling the first stitch on the second row. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookiemccool

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009 11:12:04 AM »

thank you ladies very much that is extremely helpful!! I thought that because I knit on the first stitch on the first row that I would alternate on the second row but that makes much more sense now. And thats a good tip to remember that during the chart I am doing two stitches because that may have been my next question, lol. I will try again and let you know how it works out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perfect Recipe For Burger Lovers
Taste A Cronut? Just One Of The Hot NYC Food Trends
Burger of the Week: Football Fans Devour Opponents
Anita Lo: Serving Innovation
Recipes From Across America
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...