A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: updated! EASY TO MAKE: Ursula -or- Octopus Costume - repurposed materials  (Read 22697 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , cosplay , octopus , ursula , halloween_costume , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giddygirlie

not to be confused with giggly girlie

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2009 11:30:25 AM »

The final product (taken inside "Ursula's Grotto" at Disney's California Adventure park):

I used children's watercolors to paint my make-up on. Instead of painting my whole face purple, I just painted my eye sockets, which I think give the same effect. To achieve this effect, add just a drop or two to the watercolors and stir until you have a thick paint, then apply. Goes on quick and easy and comes off just the same! A splash of water and you're done! I also added some false eyelashes that have rhinestones along the eyelid, which I found for $3 at Wal-Mart.

For my hair, I wore a blonde "rocker" wig that had spiky hair. The hairspray held up great until the night got foggy and damp, but the cut of the wig really helped keep it spiky.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hi everyone - I did a bigger tutorial write-up of this on my craft blog, if you're interested in the step-by-step processes a little bit more. But for now, I just wanted to share what I've come up with!

This costume came together relatively fast and was very low cost and could be easily adapted to work for any type of octopus, not just Ursula.

I started with some thrifted clothes:
* purple shirt with long sleeves (mine is actually 3/4 sleeves, but close enough)
* black velour/velveteen dress - this is a plus-sized, full length dress
* purple velour/velveteen dress - this is a child's sized dress

The black dress is the "body" of the octopus, so the first thing that I did was to determine where the 'bottom' of the body would be and to cut the tentacles.

Then I sewed the tentacles (which created tubes). Once these are sewn, you will notice that the opening of your dress (what was formerly the skirt part) will be much smaller, because you've essentially sewn it in 1/2 with the tentacles. This is why I like the velour/velveteen fabric -- it doesn't fray much, so I was able to cut a slit directly between each of the tentacles to allow the body to stretch out more (picture below will help demonstrate).

I used the purple velour/velveteen dress to cut out "suckers" for the tentacles. I attached these with hot glue, which was fast and easy, plus it gave a nice rounded look to the suckers.

Once that was done, I stuffed the tentacles with fiberfill and then attached the 'body' to a purple shirt (because Ursula has purple skin and I didn't want to deal with body paint). My husband is holding up the costume in this picture and holding the body out, so you can see where I cut between the tentacles to give myself room to get in to the costume.

Because I don't want the tentacles to just hang straight down (and also don't want my own legs to show), I wanted a skirt to go beneath the costume that would simulate water under the octopus. I wasn't able to find anything at the thrift stores that would work, so I ended up using remnant fabrics to create a simple skirt (step by step details are on my blog).

I also decided to make Ursula's jewelry out of Model Magic clay instead of buying and painting real shells (too fragile for my purposes). I used the white clay and made the pieces and then painted with acrylic craft paints.

The final part of the costume hasn't been written (or completed!) yet, so I don't have final photos for a couple of days. The last pieces: wig and make-up!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009 11:45:10 AM by giddygirlie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009 07:58:53 PM »

great costume Smiley love the velveteen suckers. oy, i should get started on mine sometime soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009 04:14:54 PM »

I can't wait to see action shots!  It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
Dance_Dance1126
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 05:27:07 PM »

This is totally going in my next show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giddygirlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009 10:04:51 PM »

Thank you! I'll have some final pictures to post soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangejfreak
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 04:33:51 AM »

awesome !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 11:57:13 AM »

I can't wait to see action shots!  It looks great.
Agreed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mfmvgy
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 07:14:51 PM »

Awesome costume! I'm considering Ursula as well, but I won't have to stuff it since I'm already full-figured! :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giddygirlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 09:34:59 PM »

I am also amply endowed so I won't be stuffing it either! ;-) the key is a long skirt to cut into tentacles. Easy easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giddygirlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009 02:45:01 PM »

I updated the post with the pictures of me wearing it at a Halloween party yesterday. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Metal Button in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Neon Glow in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
How to Create a New Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...