A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coffee Filter Rose, Pinecone, and Pearl Bouquet!  (Read 23295 times)
Tags for this thread: bouquet , bridal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alinaswedding
« on: October 21, 2009 01:55:40 PM »

So, I just finished my bridal bouquet!!! So excited!! This was a very time consuming project, but the results are absolutely stunning (But I'm biased...)!

My MOH and I built and hand painted these roses over the summer. It took about 2 hours per rose (1 hour for assembly, 1 hour for painting). I've heard they can be done faster, but I don't know how you could and still do a good job. I used the tutorial from MarthaStewart.com which even includes a video:
http://www.marthastewart.com/article/paper-roses
These were VERY cheap to make, especially since I already owned many of supplies. I also sometimes used hot glue to secure the stems, because on occasion I'd have a feisty one that just wouldn't stick together.

I purchased a foam bouquet holder (It's a foam ball within a plastic circular, holey frame on a stick). I got this at Hobby Lobby on sale for $2.

I picked up pinecones from the ground. I cut them to size (they can be just the tops of the cones, since no one sees the bottom part), then put a dab of hot glue on the base of the cone (where I cut it) to make sure it holds together well. Then, I wrapped floral wire (about 20 gauge) around the pinecone, wrapping it behind the lowest ring of the cone so that the wire is secured on the pinecone. The result is a pinecone on a wire stem. I then sprayed them with hairspray, then while the hairspray was still wet I dumped an opaque embossing powder over them, covering them. Hit that with a heat gun (careful not to overheat it because the hairspray might be flammable), and then my pinecones were ready to be stuck in the bouquet.

As for the pearls, I just found them in the floral department at Hobby Lobby. It was 99 cents for one stem that had about 8 bunches on them. I just attached each bunch to some wire and they were ready to place in the bouquet.

Then, I placed the flowers, pinecones, and pearl stems into the foam ball, starting from the center and working down in a circular fashion. I tied some of the stems together using twisty-ties in bunches of 3 or 4, because this made them scrunch up tighter, so that way there aren't any visual gaps.

At the end, I wrapped the stem in ribbon and glued that in place as I wrapped.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009 02:05:32 PM »

Wow! This is stunning!! I can't believe those are coffee filters! You really did a great job, and unlike a real flower bouquet, you will be able to keep this forever!!! I was so devastated to have to throw out my bridesmaid bouquet, so I can't imagine throwing out a bridal bouquet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009 02:14:47 PM »

That is an absolutely beautiful bouquet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
abachii
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009 02:31:02 PM »

that looks fantastic!
ive been thinking about making coffee filter roses for awhile, but im not the best at painting and im afraid they wouldn't turn out so pretty Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perlabella

"It is what it is."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009 03:32:43 PM »

omg! your bouquet is absolutely gorgeous!!! your post has fully convinced me to go this route (not that my bf and I are even engaged yet but we're gettin' there)    i wasn't sure that i had the talent but yours came out so beautifully that i have to give it a go!! bravo Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009 04:15:45 PM »

Seriously... too cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DannieJo
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009 06:39:38 PM »

Gorgeous! Makes me wish I had done something like that for my own wedding so that I could have kept my bouquet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009 11:59:43 PM »

Wow, that looks simply gorgeous. I think it was worth the time it took... especially when you consider the cost was that much lower! I've seen those coffee filter roses before, but yours turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alinaswedding
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009 08:04:50 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm so excited for them, and now that it's all put together, I think It was definitely worth the time.

Perlabella and abachii... give it a go! It took me about 5 flowers before I got a REALLY good one. The first few I had weren't so good, to say the least... haha. It just takes practice. I found that the best thing for painting is to use two colors. I used purple as my primary color and blue as my accent. On most of the flowers it's subtle, but the petals are edged in blue, and there's a darker accent of purple down the center of the petal, like a real flower would have. And using a rod of some sort to curl the petals when it's all done really completes the look. Also, I used little paper cups to store them while they were drying, so like a paper cup with a small hole in the bottom, which is where the stem would go, and then the cup holding up the flower. This helped it dry in the right shape.

Hope that helps :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009 11:12:47 AM »

Beautiful.

Great job, I can't imagine the patience and persistence required to do that, but it looks like it was worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anna Badkhen Talks About Peace Meals
Kate Morton Talks About The House at Riverton
Todd Gitlin and Liel Leibovitz on The Chosen Peoples
Fallout Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Certain Girls Podcast
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...