A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Puzzle Swap Round 2 (Signups: CLOSED; Send: 11/9 & 12/15)  (Read 19299 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsayrose
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2009 07:43:19 AM »

Audio who did you get your puzzle from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2009 08:14:58 AM »

I really love the puzzle I'm using, I just bought four more from a seller on etsy!

I do too!  it's the PERFECT size for my idea!!!  I'm about to go down to my dungeon to work on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2009 04:01:43 PM »

I think I've got all my pieces done. I'm going to let them all set-up over night and make sure I'm happy with them in the morning.

I did, however, go about them in a really stupid way. Learn from my idiot self. Smiley I didn't want to paint the pieces, so I though- I'll just cover them in card stock and then trim in the shape. Oh. My. God. Do you even realize how much time it takes to cut out 10 puzzle shapes from cardstock with an exacto knife?!?!?!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2009 04:28:40 PM »

Do you even realize how much time it takes to cut out 10 puzzle shapes from cardstock with an exacto knife?!?!?!   Shocked

I sorta do.  I had to cut through 2 ply paper and double-sided sticky things on audio's piece.  because I too am a genius.  Roll Eyes  and I tore a little of the paper because the tip of my exacto blade was dull.  oops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2009 04:54:28 PM »

I haven't done card stock, just fairly thick scrap book paper on some pieces, but last round about half way through I changed the blade on my exacto knife and it made all the difference in the world!  I've done both though (painting and covering with paper), depending on what I'm doing for the piece.  I think both ways look good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2009 06:49:40 PM »

last round, all of mine were painted.  this time, paper will HAVE to be used for some of them, so they'll be a mix.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2009 06:39:39 AM »

I've done both, but prefer to paint (less of a chance of ripping the paper, which I did on a couple last time).  So far I've painted 3 pcs, but at least one has to be papered to use my new awsome idea (Thank you for the inspiration, alwaysinmyroom lol) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2009 07:04:06 AM »

I was wondering if it is alright to mod podge the finished pieces--on other projects, I do that first then cut--it makes it easier and the paper does not tear... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookiemccool

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2009 07:58:40 AM »

so far I have painted all of the pieces and then coated them with either brush on gloss, spray gloss or mod podge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArtzKnitz
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.--Albert Einstein

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2009 08:40:09 AM »

I'm back--and had some pieces waiting for me.  But I have so much to do the next couple of days that I won't be able to work on them 'til later this week.  So I'll be thinking about them in the back of my mind as I go about my business.
I have lots of questions about this puzzle process.
What is mod podge? Huh
Also, I finished my first two pieces.  I had these wonderful images in my head of how I wanted and expected them to look, but the finished pieces did not exactly match my ideas.  I purposely didn't mail them before we left because I wanted to see how they'd look to me after some time.  I like them much better now, but am still surprised at how my thoughts didn't exactly translate to reality.  I think part of the problem was the size of the pieces.  I would have needed a really huge piece (like 8 1/2 x 11) to do my ideas justice, and I had to keep adjusting for the smaller size, so I'm not sure if it's really obvious what one of them is supposed to be.  Is it okay to put a little explanation on the back?  Anyone else having this problem? Undecided
I, too, had trouble with an exacto knife.  I glued several layers of paper on one of my pieces, and it was really tough cutting around the edge, even with a brand new blade.  I even sliced a wee bit of the puzzle's edge, not realizing it until later.  (I think my two pieces fit together when I received them.  They still do, but not as perfectly as they did.  I hope that in the middle of a big puzzle, the "oops" won't show). Embarrassed
I'm wondering if I need to finish my pieces with some kind of sealer to protect them, but I'm afraid that some of the color and ink I used might run.  Any ideas?
Thanks, everyone, for helping out this perplexed novice.  I really am having fun with this swap.  I'm already thinking about the next puzzle swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Animation Effects in Sprout
How to Animate Crush Test Dummy
How to Use Paths and Dupliframes in Blender
How to Get the Perfect Body with Photoshop
How to Use The Blender Interface
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...