A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I believe I struck a gold mine yesterday...  (Read 3021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lariarocket
« on: October 20, 2009 11:57:36 AM »

Yesterday, while browsing the Fiber Friday thread from last week I got the urge to jump on craigslist to look at wheels and bobbins. I'm not in the market to buy anything, being quite content with my Ashford Traveller, but I couldn't help checking out the local scene. On a whim I decided to check out looms as well, just to see what people were looking to get rid of since I'm pretty keen on learning the age old art of weaving. Much to my surprise I saw a headline listing a vintage "Weaver's Friend" loom. I checked out the listing, saw the photos, and my jaw dropped to the floor. I swear it had to be a misprint. There was no was way on earth that the price could be correct for that size loom. It gave a number to call for more information, so call I did! I got a call back shortly after and spoke with a lovely woman who explained that the loom was purchased in an estate sale and was going to be used for a small side business that she and her mother wanted to start. In an unfortunate turn of events her mother was recently diagnosed with cancer and has since become wheelchair bound. The dreams of their business together were gone and it has since become an item of regret, taking up a good portion of the living room. Really she just wanted it gone, but to a good home. Having an evening off of work I set off to take a look. You know that old "love at first sight" story? Yeah. It can happen. I stayed and chatted for a bit then had to make my way home, but not before paying the mere $150 asking price and setting up a time on Sunday to go pick up my new toy! It also came with a large box of tools and shuttles and 3 books on textiles and fabric making and a rag rug book.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I don't have no costume, and I don't wear no new clothes...my body just follows wherever my heart goes*

http://my-ocean-view.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/lariarocket
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 12:35:24 PM »

What a fantastic find! Have fun learning to use your new toy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009 10:01:36 PM »

I must say, that is an awesome sized first loom. I can't wait to see what you come up with on it!! My loom is 18" wide and hangs on my wall. lol I'll get there one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
lariarocket
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009 02:59:55 PM »

I'm pretty excited. Also, a fun little coincidence, the monthly meeting of the local spinners and weavers guild happens to meet this tuesday. I won't have to wait long to find someone who can help me start my woven journey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I don't have no costume, and I don't wear no new clothes...my body just follows wherever my heart goes*

lariarocket
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 12:27:09 PM »

I picked up my loom yesterday and brought her on home. Hmmm...not sure why I think it's a "her"...but ah well. Smiley Getting her into the house was a lot easier than I expected, there was just enough room to make maneuvering a breeze, though she's damn heavy! My brothers did a great job getting the loom in the house and set up in the right spot. I still had to head to my dad's afterward so by the time I got home I was beat and almost ready for bed. I did some cleaning with Murphy's Wood Oil soap on the spool rack and accessories though (10 huge shuttles!) and they're looking better already. I don't believe the loom has been used for years and everything was pretty dingy.

Today I played a little with all the pieces to make sure it was in good working order. There was a half finished rag rug on it so before cutting it off to clean everything I tried it out and it works beautifully! Now I just need to oil all of the moving metal bits. The heddles are a bit rusty too so instead of trying to clean 600 of them one by one I'm just going to buy some replacements on Woolery. Going to buy a new reed too I think. I can't wait to get her all set up ad ready to go! I may have to wait a week or two before I have the money for the replacement parts, but with a  little luck I'll be weaving by the end of November!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009 01:00:52 PM by lariarocket » THIS ROCKS   Logged

deenabean
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010 04:32:37 PM »

awesome I'm a bit envious. I just have a couple little rigid heddle looms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take time to make time for yourself.
Confuzzle
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010 07:22:38 PM »

I think I just wee'd my britches in excitement for you!
 Embarrassed

That's just an awesome, and lucky, find! If you can, see if some of the people in the guild would be willing to come check it out to ensure everything is working properly, and to let you know what is missing or needs replaced. Then have fun with it!

Congratulations!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

textilejnkie
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010 03:40:57 PM »

congrats!  It is so exciting to find looms like that.  Enjoy your new passion. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slovakiasteph
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011 09:57:28 PM »

That's a cool loom!  I saw one of those at Amish Acres in Indiana... nothing on it, but I spent quite a bit of time looking at it and figuring out how it worked.  I'd never seen a loom where the harnesses were controlled by the beater before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlpacaNanny
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011 05:01:02 AM »

This looks like a loom that we got a little over a year ago - for $50.00 (and a felted tree).  It is an 8 harness.   My husband thinks that he will have time to learn how to use it (ha-ha).  Meanwhile it is taking up space in my fiber room....   It has a half done rag rug on it, maybe I could take out the weft that is there and do something with the existing warp? It is white - I think cotton.  I have no clue how to use it!!! 

What is the company you mentioned to get replacement  heddle parts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011 03:41:41 PM »

What is the company you mentioned to get replacement  heddle parts?
The Woolery
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Cowboys on Canvas
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wing Details
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wings
Face Paint Tools
How to Face Paint a Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...