A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with Hoops and Tapestry Tables  (Read 1082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Knot all there

Muh muh muh muh McCoy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 20, 2009 07:09:56 AM »

I know this is a wierd discussion but I am going a presentation in my Uni about something with a design flaw that I am passionate about.

Mine is needlework.

I am doing a presentation on the fact that needlework and its aides havent moved on with the times.
They were made for high backed chair (e.g. tapestry tables) and you cannot do hoops double handed without resting on your knees.
I like to do mine snuggle on my sofa or in bed but they give me hand cramps or back ache because I can never get comfortable.
That and the hoops have a tendency to bugger up my fabric too which takes ages to iron out.

The questions are:

* Do you have any problems with your hoops/tables?
* What do you prefer?
* Do they give you RSI?
* Any problems/ things that irritate you would be greatly appreciated!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 08:57:17 PM »

I had suffered with Repetitive Stitch Injury for many years-- well I was in therapy for over 3 years- but I was finally able to stitch now. I'm unable to use hoops and qsnap frames anymore because it was what hurt my wrist-- So now I use a lap/table stand at a small desk that I can be easily moved around room to room (if I want to  listen to the TV) I experience NO pain and know to quit stitching if I feel any discomfort. I also ice after if I stitch for a couple hours!!

That would be interesting to try my lap/table stand on the bed-- but I would have to make a pillow that would allow me to sit straight up and support my lower back tho. Something to look into!!!

But I would see a doctor for your hand cramping-- you could also have carpal tunnel.

Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009 08:31:57 AM »

I prefer to use a Q-Snap because it is much more comfortable on my hand and less of a grip thus less cramping. I have suffered from the infamous "bible bump" and occasionally get tennis elbow if I stitch too much or go back to the conventional hoop. I've thought of using a stand up hoop but I prefer to sit and snuggle on the couch. 

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 10:27:29 PM »

There is a reason that things haven't changed so much, it's because when you get it right it doesn't need to be sorted. Hoops are only meant to be a transportable frame for stitching, for those stitchers on the go. Any serious stitcher in days gone by would have had (and current stitchers should have) a stand to hold their hoops, scrollframes, stretcher bars or their slate frames. These stands can be on the floor or lap, etc. At the very least your frame should be propped up on something. "Snuggling in the couch" sounds like it might not be good for your spine over extended periods, it doesn't make sense to trade one injury for another. LOL I feel like I'm lecturing but that is not my intent.
The above posters have the right idea, take care of yourself and let your hands rest sometimes, like any muscle or joint, those in your hands do get tired; if pushed too hard they inflame and then it is only just a stone's throw from real injury.

Also, on a less health related note. If you un-hoop your project each time you put it away you won't get the hoop ring effect, it is pretty well impossible to iron out because the fibres get all stretched and wonky. Alternately you could switch to stretcherbars or scrollframes. Stretcherbars are probably the cheaper of the two (I did recently pick up a scrollframe for about $20 though), you can get them at art supply stores they are used to stretch canvas for painters. You can set them up and tack your fabric in place on the selvage or excess around the outside of your project.

I too am passionate aboute needlework and play the piano, I have also had to find ways to work that have less impact on my body.
I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009 05:46:35 PM »

Hmmm...all I do to de-hoopmark a piece of stitchery is to soak the whole blasted thing in VERY cold water and then lay flat to dry. 

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
Knot all there

Muh muh muh muh McCoy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009 02:59:11 PM »

Hmmm...all I do to de-hoopmark a piece of stitchery is to soak the whole blasted thing in VERY cold water and then lay flat to dry. 

That is a very good tip!
Thank you by the way Cheesy

More Optimistic Than Skilled.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009 07:04:13 PM »

Until I move out, I am hoop only, so I'll answer for those.

* Do you have any problems with your hoops/tables?

My only problem with hoops is I buy the crappy cheap ones and they splinter, lol. I do have some lovely old ones my grandmother had, which are awesome but small.

* Do they give you RSI?

I do sometimes get a cramp in the wrist of the hand I use to hold the hoop. I find though if I take a break and do something else the minute I feel the pain start I'm fine.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brad Graham on His Favorite Razors
How to Make Your Gray Hair Disappear in 60 Seconds
How to Style Your Hair Like Charlize Theron
Three Runway Braided Hair Looks
Hair Styling Tips with Celebrity Hair Stylist Harry Josh
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...