A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 15 and Wanting to Start a Business  (Read 18945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2007 08:37:10 PM »

Lol yea this post is really old!
But i agree with advertising on lj communitites too! It works really well!

I also recommend this book ' The Young Entrepreneur's Guide to Starting and Running a Business' By Steve Mariotti . I'm reading it right now, and I like how its really simple so its easy to understand!!

Whimsy and Fun Jewelry and Accessories for Independent Women.

I'm a bit obsessed w/ blogs. Smiley
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2007 09:09:35 PM »

^^ sounds like you have a plan!  Shocked Roll Eyes

don't worry... I have something up my sleeve... dun dun dunnnn  Cheesy

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2009 12:05:15 PM »

I owned a clothing retail business until recently- and I generally supported local artists whenever possible, especially to jumpstart a junior designer, or help a work-from-home parent earn money. I encourage craftsters with product to sell to go into stores, and sell a limited batch to the proprietor!!

The best sales tactics you can use:
-have samples with you, more than you think you need! The shop owner might want to be choosy and select her favorites from your samples. Don't pull them all out at once- this is overwhelming. Mention you have others if she'd like to see variations.

-have an "about the designer" card, business card, or  table sign to be displayed with your merchandise in the store. It looks professional, and shoppers like the idea of supporting a youth or local designer.

-have your sales pitch ready- even just a coherent 30 second introduction as to who you are and what you have in mind

-don't be afraid to hit the pavement and think of all retail businesses! I've met many interesting designers who I never would have known about unless she promoted herself to me. Even health food stores and hardware stores these days sell crafts, music, and clothing.

-If the proprietor cannot take a risk on buying merchandise up front (I never could)- go with consignment! Consignment means you are payed a percentage by the owner once your designs have sold. It's less risky for them financially, and they can try new variety. Both of you get paid, but the risk to you is that it takes more time.

-If consigning your wares, make sure you get a receipt for the goods you've left with the business. Also, be very clear about what your bottom cost is for recouping your time and materials. The owner may need time to think about what she can sell your item for according to her customer base.
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2010 02:33:23 AM »

Oh wow, this post is super old! But I found all the replies helpful. I'm thirteen, and my friend and I want to start a business making cellphone charms, keychains, etc. Etsy charges 20 cents per listing, and they're is so much competition there. A lot of people renew their listing everyday for potential buyers to see their products. 20 cents can really add up.

The idea about the collective site is really great. I have to ask, did anyone start it?

From the very moment I saw you, I knew that you were the "one".
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Brad Thor LIVE
Tim and Eric on "Zone Theory"
Dan Goleman on "A Force For Good"
Chris Colfer on "The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms"
Brad Thor Discusses "Code of Conduct"
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...