A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sticks and stones  (Read 5979 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , empowerment , domestic_violence_awareness , good_cause_challenge  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 18, 2009 11:53:36 PM »

i embroidered this because it's something that i want to hang in my house. i want to remind myself, and to remind others in my life, that words can be as incredibly hurtful as other kinds of abuse, and to take care.

i remember as a kid, the phrase "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me". i sincerely hope kids aren't still learning that, but when i was a kid, we didn't talk about bullying and the cruelty of children. when i started school, my dad told me that if a boy bothered me "punch him in the nose" (i don't think i ever did, though as i grew older, i realized a groin shot would be more effective anyway! Wink) but we never learned how to deal with the emotional cruelty, you know?

i was a super sensitive kid, i cried at EVERYTHING, and got teased all the time, and even more so when i started to cry! it got to the point that by my early teens, i'd trained myself to never cry in front of anyone else - even if it was totally acceptable (like a sad movie). i don't really know how things would have been any different if we'd talked more about it in the 80s, but i wonder.

i really wanted to embroider this piece for the domestic violence theme because i think emotional abuse can sometimes be overlooked. i think survivors of emotional abuse are often the first ones to do that. i was in a common law relationship for several years that was really messed up, when i look back on it now. it took me over a year to stop hearing my ex's voice in my head putting me down, even though i realized soon after we split that it wasn't really ME thinking those things. friends have come out and called the relationship abusive, but i still shy from that. i don't think he was intentionally trying to hurt me or to control my actions, i think he had a lot of his own emotional problems, and we were really unsuited. is it still abuse if it isn't intentional? i'm also uncomfortable calling it abuse because it doesn't seem "as bad" as other people's stories of physical or sexual abuse, which i know is totally contradictory to what i'm saying here. but that's how it goes, you know? rationally, i know that emotional abuse can leave long reaching scars, and for some people, may be more damaging than other kinds of abuse. but emotionally it's a different story.

coming out of the relationship i realized that both my physical and mental had been affected by the relationship, and even now, years later, i still struggle with things that go back to that period in my life.

so this is what i embroidered

the words are a simple font, i wanted them to look almost childlike. (i'll edit this with the actual name later, i have to look it up!) they're simple backstitch, and the heart is satin stitch with two different shades of pink.

once again, comments and criticism are totally welcome, and the pics are on flickr, so if you'd like to see them bigger, just click on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Lo{ve}
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009 11:58:20 PM »

gahhh this made me start crying so hard. i'm in one of those emotionally terrible relationships right now (i too can not call it abuse, although my friends try to pound that into my head) i know i need to get out but i just can't do it.

i think the 'child like writing' really hit home, too. it adds that extra touch! nicely done.

at least i know that i am not alone  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009 11:59:15 PM by Lo{ve} » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009 12:22:42 AM »

oh Lo{ve}, i'm so sorry. i'm so glad the piece helped at least a bit, but i'm so sorry that you're in a place of needing that knowledge, you know?  ((hugs))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009 12:25:21 AM »

I love it! I think you should put that photo on t-shirts. It is cute, but real. And ,
I can definitely relate to being teased as a kid.
K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009 02:14:58 AM »

craftydame I love this, it's wonderful. I'm glad that you got out of your previous relationship and have healed. I think that many times emotional abuse is a lot harder to get over, like you said. With physical abuse you know that it's wrong, you know that it's a violation, with emotional abuse it gets into your brain to the point where you really start to believe what your abuser is saying.

It's been published that military torturers know that most people can be broken completely by brainwashing (which is kind of what emotional abuse is) but they will hold their convictions and beliefs to the death when being physically abused.

Words have power, we know this. I think a lot of people can be unintentionally cruel at times not paying attention to what they're saying, especially children.

Lo{ve}- be strong. Know that you are a wonderful person and that you should be valued as such. Whatever you decide you should know that there are thousands of people that share similar experiences and communities for you to get help should you choose to seek it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009 06:26:24 AM »

They were still saying "sticks and stones" when I was a kid in the 90s.  Sticks and stones my ass!  Words can hurt, a lot.

I am sorry for what you have endured.  But it seems to have made you much stronger than before.  Often the worst things we've been through can be things which shape us the most and make us beautiful, like a caterpillar turned butterfly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009 07:23:53 AM »

What a wonderful piece and very true. Words hurt just as bad and can be very abusive. Such a simple saying, with such a powerful message.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
craftydame

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009 08:57:23 AM »

thank you everyone!

KLKinng, that's such a good idea! someone should do it in cafe press or something (so beyond my computer skills though!!)

Seraphina_de_Sangre, the military fact is super interesting as well. brainwashing is such a terrifying thing to me. i grew up in a fairly conservatively religious community, and it wasn't the religion itself that bothered me, but how EVERYONE had the exact same thoughts and beliefs, because they weren't encouraged at all to question their faith, or to learn about it any deeper than what their youth minister told them. that's so different than the way i grew up, with open minded parents and the knowledge that you don't HAVE to agree with everything that the church says or does. words and the emotions that they create can have such a powerful hold over people.

fluffybaka, i'm sorry to hear that. i had hoped that with all the recent attention to bullying, schools would be emphasizing the power of words more.

and thanks kittykill. another reason i think we tend to see emotional abuse in a lesser light is just basic human nature. if we can't SEE the damage, we don't know how to help, we feel useless, and it gets pushed under the carpet, so to say. i see the same thing with invisible dis/abilities as well. if someone has a broken arm or something, we know how to provide medical care for it, so we feel like we can help in some way, but if someone has emotional scars, it's much harder to know what to do. that's why people such as yourself are so important, the people who DO know what to do to help!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009 09:54:53 AM »

Very powerful in it's simplicity and very well stitched.  Thank you for your courage in sharing and moving on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009 10:03:46 AM »

Wow.

Thank You.

I think Craftster needs a hugging application. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Your Own Wedding Cake
Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble Recipe
How to Make Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Easy Homemade Chocolate Truffles
How to Make Mini Sticky Buns
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...