A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 311,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster is partners with Craftastrophe.org?  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2009 09:52:58 PM »

I'm hoping I was misreading sarcasm, and they just meant they troll the Crafster forums for pictures to make fun of.  Craftster isn't really in any way affiliated with that site, is it?  Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009 10:05:08 PM »

It sure does look like they're claiming that. I'd be interested to know if this is true. Doesn't seem very much in the spirit of Craftster to be trashing people's art.....

Personally, the first post I found that said, "Oh who am I kidding?  I have no idea whats involved in felting.  Ive seen enough felting disasters here not to care, either.  Goodness, remember CHOPS? (Who could forget?)" Is enough to make me think that really is not a site that Craftster would support. I hope...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009 09:03:07 PM »

Where does it say they are affiliated with Craftster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009 11:29:18 PM »

Where does it say they are affiliated with Craftster?

On the right-hand side, it says "We Have Multiple Partners" in bold text and underneath there is an image link (the 'No Tea Cozies Without Irony pic') for Craftster and one other site.  I was kinda confused, because it says something about them writing for/contributing to the Craftster blog?  I dunno.  I'm really hoping they're just making it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009 12:32:18 AM »

Yeah, it does look like they contribute to the blog.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009 02:55:57 AM »

I was kind of p.o.ed about this at first, but I thought surely there'd be other people on there who would complain. When I didn't see any, and most of the posts weren't actually all that inflammatory that I could see, I looked in the 'about' link and found this:  (emphasis not mine)

These craftastrophes arent necessarily bad crafts, many are well made and have taken the crafter a lot of time and energy to create; this sites goal is to showcase those crafts that are funny, weird, strange and make us laugh. We mean no harm and can honestly say that there have been sales for some sellers on various sites due to their craft being featured on this site! We merely want to share the laughs and enjoy the talents of many. Talents which neither of us have.

So, the site seems to be mostly innocent. I don't think it's intended to actually be mean-spirited or cruel, but just to show off bizarre and giggle-worthy crafts. (Like the babydoll centipede on the blog header.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009 11:46:10 AM »

Craftastrophe.net?  yes.  I believe so.  and they do contribute to the Craftster blog often: http://www.craftster.org/blog/?cat=484

and I don't think most of it is meant to even poke fun at "bad" crafts, but to show off some really strange ones, like SpecialKRJ said.  like strange taxidermy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009 09:08:21 PM »

These craftastrophes arent necessarily bad crafts...

and I don't think most of it is meant to even poke fun at "bad" crafts...

Except I'm looking at the site for the first time because of this thread and I come to the 1 year anniversary post. The very first sentence says:
Can you believe its been a year since we started sharing the wealth of awesomeness that is bad crafts?
http://craftastrophe.net/2009/11/happy-blogaversary/

I don't know the site and I'm not taking sides but those ARE their own words.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009 07:16:20 PM »

Definitely NOT in the spirit of craftster. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Tero
Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009 08:18:01 AM »

Since we are all throwing in our two cents here........

Personally I think that if you make a pair of earrings out of dead animals feet you are kind of putting yourself out there to be poked at.
This site actually does give kudos to the time and talent that it takes to come up with this stuff. So they are giving credit where credit is due. AND they claim and I can see where folks are even selling their "crafts" due to them getting show cased on their website.
I love Craftster and would not change a thing, however I have to admit that most of us on here error on the side of kindness A LOT. If you see someone is really trying and has put their heart and soul into something, then you say nice things about it and that is fair, that is what Craftster is for.
This site is not picking out first time crochet folks that worked all night long on a scarf that turned out wonky, they are picking out people who craft for shock value.
If you are crafting for attention then isn't any kind of attention good enough? I for one, think this is a great site, as these ladies say what I am thinking 98% of the time I am looking at the stuff they showcase. Smiley

Everyone really needs to go to the site and dig deep before getting offended. Honestly there are many things on there that straight up offended me as "art". A face formed out of genitalia and then called a honor to an artist past.....This person would have to do some fast talking to convince me they put any thought in to that other than this will freak some people out.

Some things on there are just funny and I would actually buy because of that reason. It is refreshing to have someone be honest and in a funny way to boot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009 10:46:28 AM by Tero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl African American Hair Naturally
How to Get Soft and Shiny Hair With Oil Treatments
A Banging New Hair Salon
Hot Hair Trend: Celebs Darken Up Their Locks
How To Get The Bouffant Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...