A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!!! Need help with diaper cake!  (Read 1951 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_cake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2009 06:59:54 PM »

It's for a little girl and it is my first "commissioned" cake, and only the second one I have done. I have the main cake and the ribbon attached, and have the topper. The little bunny on top has special sentimental value (the first toy daddy bought when he found out they were having a little girl) and the pink all around the bunny is a blanket that goes all the way through the cake, so those things cannot be moved.
Here is what I have so far:

Here is the topper:

A closer shot of the ribbon:

And these are the little doodads I need to attach to the cake, but can't figure out how.

I thought I might add some flowers and curling ribbon and tuck them into that, with floral stakes or something that would be hidden by the ribbon. Any thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
abachii
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 08:21:13 PM »

thats such a cool idea! one of our family friends just had a baby, and the mommy would get such a kick out of this.
as to attaching the toys, i have no idea. i think the floral stakes and ribbon would work nicely, as i suppose using glue wouldn't be good for the diapers XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009 08:28:13 PM »

I think glue would work ok, you would only ruin a couple of the diapers.  I like how you laid them out though.  Someone made one for my grandson, and rolled the diapers.  They were all warped out of shape and ruined.  Plus they were ALL newborn size.  By the time she was sick of looking at the thing and felt like ripping into it for diapers, he had outgrown them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009 10:23:54 PM »

Let's see if I can clearly write down what is in my head. I would do three clusters of ribbon/flowers. One on the second tier, to one side. Then one on the bottom tier, to the opposite side. The last one would be at the base of the cake, on the opposite side again. So looking straight at the cake, you'd have the topper on the top tier, centered, one cluster on the middle tier to the left, one cluster on the bottom tier to the right, and one more cluster on the base to the left again. Then place one toy in the center of each cluster. And add a few flowers/ribbons to the top at the feet of the bunny. I'd use floral wire so you don't have to ruin any diapers. Just my thoughts! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009 07:48:17 AM »

Thanks becca! That sounds great and I won't have to use a TON of ribbon and flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
utotmuch
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009 07:22:01 PM »

The cake is cute! You are real creative! I have never seen a diaper cake before but it looks like real fun though! A suggestion: I think it would also be real cool to add more colors to it? Its all pink and white.. I think your little toys will do.. maybe on the base??  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009 12:56:24 PM »

I actually got it all done... and didn't take a picture! I added a ton of curling ribbon and put all the little toys on with wire, which was  hidden in the ribbon. I put some daises in the top and moved the bunny to the side, so she looked like she was holding the blanket instead of sitting in it. I didn't put the frog on there, I couldn't get it to sit right. The mommy to be really loved it though, so I am glad it all worked out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Shelanie
Moma D

Everything is better with ric-rac.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009 07:18:39 PM »

How do you get them to stay while you wrap the ribbon around? What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

Personal swap friendly!
saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009 03:10:50 AM »

I tied them up with yarn. I have seen tutes online that say to use big rubber bands, but I couldn't find any that big, and it is much easier to slide the diapers around to fill in gaps and whatnot if you use yarn. Once you have the ribbon on (which is glued to itself so it doesn't ruin the diapers) you can just untie the yarn and pull it off. Easy-peasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

wicca_faerie
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009 10:00:51 PM »

Wow this cake looks great! I've never really heard of cakes made out of nappies. It looks good though, and its nicer than just giving a box of nappies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry, My attention span isn't ver... *gasp* shiny thing!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Light and Flavorful Tahini Cookies Recipes
7 Ways You Can Make Macarons Even Cuter
Celebrate National Peach Cobber Day With This Delicious Recipe
Homemade Rice Krispies Squares Recipe
Traditional Panzerotti with Chef Luigi Diotaiuti
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...