A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Unity Scarf - Loom Knit  (Read 4255 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: October 17, 2009 05:52:51 PM »

I'm so happy!  I just finished the Unity Scarf I loom knit for my mom!  She hasn't seen it, yet.  She's house sitting for my sis.  Can't wait 'til she gets back!  I started it almost a year ago being inspired by the scarf Neville Longbottom and other students wore in the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" movie.  I really liked the colors of this scarf.  But, put it down in the spring/summer to work on other projects.  Because it's starting to feel like fall, I dug it back out to finish it.

I knitted it on my homemade loom/board, which I think gave me a much better gauge for my single strand worsted weight yarn then a KK loom.  I've posted more details and progress pics on my loom knitting blog.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meepmopmoop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 06:57:46 PM »

Super cute!  Good job, and there sure is nothing like a chill in the air to jump start knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009 08:41:42 PM »

I really love this scarf and wish my nieces didn't live in Florida! They're huge HP fans. I especially like the crest relief.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009 07:28:42 AM »

Thanks, mmeepmopmoop & pugwash. 

I would have to totally agree, meep.  Though, I see some really nice summer/spring knitted items, I just don't really get in the mood until I can see my breath.  Smiley

I had originally planned to put the crest on the neck and both ends, but in an effort to get it finished, I opted to just leave it with the one.  Maybe next time I'll stick to the plan.  Or not!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009 09:46:34 AM »

This came out lovely! So pretty! Great job! It looks like it drapes beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009 05:56:53 PM »

Hi there, Eliea!  Thanks!  I was worried at first that it might be too stiff, but after I got about a foot of it knitted, it started to feel better.  I must admit I didn't block this scarf as I guess other more experienced knitters suggest doing to even out the stitches.  It's acrylic and I didn't think it would help much.  Are there any other benefits to blocking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010 02:59:21 PM »

That scarf looks really good. I looked at your blog a little, and I'm impressed with your loom too. I used the Knifty Knitter looms for a while and enjoyed it but grew frustrated at the large gauge. I briefly considered making my own looms with wood and finishing nails, but in the end gave up and learned to knit with needles. I never thought of anything like what you're doing. It's really clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
mieljolie
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010 05:01:02 PM »

Thank you, wifeofbath.  Yep, the kk gauge was frustrating for me, too.  I had made a slytherin scarf with the the kk loom.  And though it was quick to knit on, I found the large loops snag on things really easy.  I'd love to learn to knit with needles, but fear I don't have the coordination for it.  I've tried crochet and can't seem to make two chains that match.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrislea
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010 08:27:20 AM »

Ooh, it looks so warm and soft, and the colors look great together!  No more house discrimination!  They all rule!  ^o^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting an Everyday White Balance Setting
Time Lapse Photography Tips
How to Shoot at Night Without a Flash
Cropping in Camera
Understanding Composition and Framing
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...