A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Unity Scarf - Loom Knit  (Read 4530 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: October 17, 2009 05:52:51 PM »

I'm so happy!  I just finished the Unity Scarf I loom knit for my mom!  She hasn't seen it, yet.  She's house sitting for my sis.  Can't wait 'til she gets back!  I started it almost a year ago being inspired by the scarf Neville Longbottom and other students wore in the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" movie.  I really liked the colors of this scarf.  But, put it down in the spring/summer to work on other projects.  Because it's starting to feel like fall, I dug it back out to finish it.

I knitted it on my homemade loom/board, which I think gave me a much better gauge for my single strand worsted weight yarn then a KK loom.  I've posted more details and progress pics on my loom knitting blog.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meepmopmoop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 06:57:46 PM »

Super cute!  Good job, and there sure is nothing like a chill in the air to jump start knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009 08:41:42 PM »

I really love this scarf and wish my nieces didn't live in Florida! They're huge HP fans. I especially like the crest relief.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009 07:28:42 AM »

Thanks, mmeepmopmoop & pugwash. 

I would have to totally agree, meep.  Though, I see some really nice summer/spring knitted items, I just don't really get in the mood until I can see my breath.  Smiley

I had originally planned to put the crest on the neck and both ends, but in an effort to get it finished, I opted to just leave it with the one.  Maybe next time I'll stick to the plan.  Or not!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009 09:46:34 AM »

This came out lovely! So pretty! Great job! It looks like it drapes beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009 05:56:53 PM »

Hi there, Eliea!  Thanks!  I was worried at first that it might be too stiff, but after I got about a foot of it knitted, it started to feel better.  I must admit I didn't block this scarf as I guess other more experienced knitters suggest doing to even out the stitches.  It's acrylic and I didn't think it would help much.  Are there any other benefits to blocking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010 02:59:21 PM »

That scarf looks really good. I looked at your blog a little, and I'm impressed with your loom too. I used the Knifty Knitter looms for a while and enjoyed it but grew frustrated at the large gauge. I briefly considered making my own looms with wood and finishing nails, but in the end gave up and learned to knit with needles. I never thought of anything like what you're doing. It's really clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
mieljolie
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010 05:01:02 PM »

Thank you, wifeofbath.  Yep, the kk gauge was frustrating for me, too.  I had made a slytherin scarf with the the kk loom.  And though it was quick to knit on, I found the large loops snag on things really easy.  I'd love to learn to knit with needles, but fear I don't have the coordination for it.  I've tried crochet and can't seem to make two chains that match.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrislea
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010 08:27:20 AM »

Ooh, it looks so warm and soft, and the colors look great together!  No more house discrimination!  They all rule!  ^o^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kyria Abrahams Reveals Her Motto
Kamran Pasha Talks About Mother of the Believers
The Fruit of Her Hands Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Michael Murray and Dr. Michael Lyon
Erik Rees Talks About Only You Can Be You
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...