A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stewie Griffin - Now with Lois costume!  (Read 14189 times)
Tags for this thread: family_guy , halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sonicsink
« on: October 17, 2009 02:42:30 PM »

My son has been giving me a real hard time the last few months (terrible twos) so I've decided he needs to dress up as someone determined to destroy his mother...who else but Stewie Griffin! Tongue

Every year I do my best to make our costumes with stuff from the second hand store. I got the yellow turtleneck, red overalls, a flesh coloured bed sheet, and the shoes there.  Rupert the teddy bear was a freebie we got in the mail from some baby food company when my son was born, and the phaser gun is just a small toy squit gun from the dollar store.

The overalls had a square patch in the front that left a darker spot on the fabric, so I decided to make the name tag to cover it up. I printed that up on the computer, glued it on some cardboard, wrapped it in clear sticky paper, and then glued a pin on the back.

I originally had planned to make a 3-D head, I had glued it all together out of pieces of foam, but for some reason, I just couldn't manage to get the material sewn on/around it properly. Also every time I tried to put it on my son's head to test out the fit, he would freak and not want to put it on. After my 2nd 3-D attempt failed, I took my son's cue and tried to come up with something easier to make, and something my son would agree to wearing.

What I finally ended up doing was draw the shape of Stewie's head on to a piece of cardboard and then trace that onto my material. I cut it out, sewed up part of it, slipped the cardboard inside for support and then stuffed it with some batting. I then pinned the head/face onto my son's balaclava style winter hat which I knew he liked wearing. After Halloween I'll just unpin it so we can keep using the hat.

After looking at these pics, I'm not 100% happy with it. I'm gonna loosely sew some more of my flesh coloured material to disguise the hat a bit more. Up next, I work on my Lois costume! Grin

Thanks for looking!

~~~~~~~~~~

So here is my Lois is costume I put together. All items except the wig are from the second hand store. I also made a Brian dog that is humping my leg Tongue The dog was my sons. It is a stuffed animal that came with a bunch of velcro parts that you could change around to give it it's own look. I took all the parts off and I was just left with a bare dog. The eyes are styrofoam balls, the tag was one of my cats old rabies tags flipped around, the nose is glue gunned on felt, and the ears are just foam board. I didn't have anything else in the house to make them with but if I come across anything in the next few days, and I have time, I might replace them.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009 03:15:39 PM by sonicsink » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 02:47:55 PM »

LOL! That is hilarious!
Great costume, and fabulous use of thrifted pieces.  Your son makes an adorable Stewie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009 03:08:14 PM »

This is genius!  I'm soooooo glad that you and this costume exist out there!  I hope you share your Lois costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanessow
Zombie Hunter Buys Cheese, Causes Riot

If it ain't broke - Decorate it.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009 03:33:10 PM »

Awesome! I am impressed by your thriftiness! Great costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------------
♣ \/ @ ŋ @ ♣
http://www.vanessow.com
sonicsink
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009 04:03:25 PM »

Lois costume now added to the OP
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009 04:06:14 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA!  Awesome!  Are you going to do her nasal-y voice, too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

davidsdesire
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009 05:54:10 PM »

too funny...great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009 09:01:06 PM »

That is fantastic!  I love everything.  I am not going to be able to show this to my boyfriend though, or he'll immediately start plotting how to borrow a small cousin for Halloween.   Smiley  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009 11:52:29 PM »

That looks great! Very creative work, especially with your Stewie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009 04:26:34 AM »

Aweeee That's so amazing! I hope your son gets a TON of candy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Make Simple Dim Sum
How to Make Campfire Indian-Spiced Chicken and Sauteed Veggies
How to Cook Grilled Vegetable Chili on a Campfire
Making Sustainable Sushi at Mashiko in Seattle
Korean Food Made Simple with Chef Judy Joo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...