A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to get a picky guy to try vegetarian dishes?  (Read 3298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marleah
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008 02:03:27 PM »

I'm married to a wonderful guy who happens to be omni, and I'm vegetarian.

To echo Maleah's post: Morningstar! They have the best tasting veggie-meats, IMO. My husband cannot tell the difference when I use the crumbles in spaghetti sauce or in a lasagna. Also, use the crumbles for tacos...mmmmmm....

Yes, tacos!! Tacos are really great too if you make some brown rice to put in them too. It adds substance and texture, which is great for meatless dishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008 06:40:24 PM »

According to my boyfriend, morningstar chikin patties are pretty darn convincing. I wouldn't know, it's been years since I tried chicken. Veggie chili is also pretty popular around here as is nut-loaf and black eyed pea patties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008 03:49:21 PM »

ive found out that if you dont tell people what they are eating and just make em try it the results are better.. ive done it a few times..hehe..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
Charrr
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008 09:32:15 AM »

ive found out that if you dont tell people what they are eating and just make em try it the results are better.. ive done it a few times..hehe..

Hahaha yeah you could do that with chinese style fake meat or soya mince. Looks like meat, probably taste similar to meat but no dead stuff.

Noodles and stir fry veg can be pretty filling.

Dishes involving a lot of cheese are pretty much as unhealthy as meat in terms of weight issues but a bit on top say on a pasta bake won't harm him.

Give him extra bread or potatoes if he's concerned about wasting away!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
funiscool
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008 05:23:01 PM »

If you maybe show him articles from the newspaper or internet about how bad meat is for him, or maybe take him to the doctor and get the doctor to suggest more vegetables or something? Depends what doctor i guess though. I find the manipulative approach is better usually works best. As long as you are doing it kind of sneakily and he doesn't notice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008 11:04:43 AM »

well,I just wait until he is really hungry, then start eating and making it seem extra enjoyable. Then he is just like- let me try some... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
accountantbyday
Semiadolescent By Night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008 08:22:42 PM »

I'm jumping in on this kind of late, but I was just going to comment that since you aren't necessarily planning to go fully vegetarian, a good option might be to start weaning him a little by scaling back the amounts of meat in recipes.  In 2006 I needed to lose a lot of weight, so I started Weight Watchers and one of the things I did in terms of revamping recipes was choosing meals that featured a smaller amount of meat that was fairly flavorful.  For instance, I have a calzone recipe that my boyfriend just loves.  They used to have almost a half pound of ham in them, with a little bit of vegetables.  So I changed the ratio.  I buy really nice, tasty ham and have scaled it back to a little less than a couple ounces - but the flavor still permeates the entire dish, which now consists mainly of bell peppers and onion.  He still likes it.  Would he prefer more meat?  Yes.  Has he "matured" to a point where he can deal with this, though?  Yes.  It was harder in the beginning.  But because he is trying to be supportive, he may sometimes miss the way we used to eat, but he has become pretty accustomed to our new food-related habits and it doesn't seem bad to him anymore.  It has been a gradual process. 

The other thing I would recommend is avoiding any type of manipulation or coercion related to this whole thing.  If you care about him, you will have too much respect for his free will to attempt to trick him.  My boyfriend smokes and I hate it because I fear he is ruining his health.  I have made my point that I disapprove, and I leave him alone about it.  He's a big boy.  Trying to wheedle or trick him into quitting a destructive habit isn't necessarily going to encourage him to change, and it will only strain the relationship.  If he is going to make the change, you need to give him time to adjust to the idea on his own, and to be open to the possibility that it may not happen at all.  It won't be the end of the world.  You can change your own eating habits without making demands on him.  It isn't always easy, but remember that it won't happen overnight.  Ask him to respect that you are trying to make some positive, healthy changes to your lifestyle and make it clear that while you won't be preparing a separate meal for him on the nights when you eat vegetarian, that doesn't mean he is required to be along for every ride.  Couples can go through experiences like this without sharing them, and still come out as strong.  It's all about finding what will work for your unique dynamic.  The challenge is to make this inviting to him, and present it as take-it-or-leave-it.  Anybody would feel like balking if they felt like they were being boxed in to something that wasn't their idea. 

That said, as a number of other suggested, I recommend trying the boca crumbles, and focusing dishes on an ingredient that is fairly hearty and flavorful - if he likes mushrooms, try grinding some up and making stuffed peppers (or use boca crumbles).  Nuts, mushrooms, and certain soy products are a good source of "meaty" non meat foods to try out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008 08:59:56 PM »

oh, tonight I got him, his mom, sister, and aunt to try some fried tofu. They all said it actually wasn't that bad. I find it easier to get people to try something you havent made, especially when eating out. That way, if they don't like it, they can just say so and not hurt your feelings. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mibismogger
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009 03:19:49 PM »

Eggplant is very filling and some of the larger mushrooms cook up just like meat, I'm a vegetarian with a very carnivorous boyfriend so I can relate to your plight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009 03:51:21 PM »

my boyo and i are both carnivores, well omni technically but we both love meat
however at least half the time we don't eat meat, simply because we can't afford meat every day
he would be happier with more meat i think but so long as i cook things that don't have meat in the first place he doesn't even notice, i like tofu when it's prepared right but i don't see the point of meat substitutes
we'd never cut out all the meat because we believe in a healthy balanced diet, it's just about choosing the right types and cuts of meat, as well as how you prepare them
few tips for you and your boyo
take him to a dietician, hopefully that'll help him realise the damage he's doing to his body
he cooks what you eat, or makes it for himself, he's a grown man and can make his own decisions, that doesn't mean you can't be loudly disappointed when he gets fast food/take away instead of eating the lovely homecooked meal you prepared
don't go for meat substitutes, people i know would rather just not have meat than have fake meat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...