A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday dress for a 1 year old princess  (Read 11157 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , bunting , garland  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rinnial
« on: October 16, 2009 10:40:35 PM »

This year my daughter's first birthday was cupcake themed, so of course she needed a cupcake dress! I used a vintage pattern (which turned out to be WAY too big, bummer) and so I will probably have to adjust it so it fits her better, but still, it turned out super cute!

Here is the top of the dress without her sweater on, like I said it turned out waaaaaaaay too big, I don't know what kind of 18 month old this pattern was supposed to fit...

Overall, I was pretty happy with the way it looked. And she was comfortable, and hey, at least it'll fit her for a while!
I will leave you with some of the cupcake-related things I made for the party:

Plush cupcakes as favors:

A beanbag cupcake for her (she is trying to eat it in this pic):

and cupcake bunting:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TracyLee22
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 05:12:50 AM »

I want a cupcake birthday and i am turning 25! How did you make your cute cupcake favors? I have a cupcake kitchen and would love those as part of my decor!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Best episode of 'Cops' ever made:
officer- "ma'am why do you have scissors in your pocket?"
drunk lady- "for arts, such as.... crafts?"
Elisana
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009 05:19:06 AM »

The dress is beautiful! FOr the size, did you go by the age/size in the pattern or by the body measurements? I'm asking because my daughter wears size 4, and I made her a size 4 dress that turned out to be too big, then I checked the measurements on the pattern and found that she matches their size 3. well, better to big than too small.....

LOVE the cupcakes, too!!!! the best party favor I've seen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rinnial
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009 09:01:56 AM »

Thanks! I made up a pattern that I used for the cupcakes, basically traced the inside of a cupcake baking sheet cup and then used a gathered, stuffed circle as the top...does that make sense? I freehanded the 'frosting' on the top and then just used a vintage button as the cherry!

In response to Elisana, I used the body measurements from the pattern, not the actual size, and it still turned out huge! I think part of the problem is that my Daughter is a very skinny size 18 months...really more like 9 months in the waist and 18 months for length. I may just take it in on the sides if I use that pattern again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BecMalcomson
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009 04:52:25 AM »

I need to have that cupcake material immediately!! Where did you find it? Great job. I love the colours you used. Such a sweetie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually who are you not to be?

We are all meant to shine.

My Blog - www.playlaughsew.blogspot.com
See Sam on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockhampton-Australia/See-Sam/116230585077775?ref=sgm
Rinnial
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009 12:18:57 PM »

Lol! I found it at Joanns...of course! They have four or five different kinds of cupcake themed fabric right now, and I have them all. What can I say? I'm a hoarder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenyBunny
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009 08:49:31 PM »

Soooo very adorable!! I especially love the little cupcake favors.

My girls are the same way, about 12m width and 2t height. This is why I started out just drafting my own patterns. I was very tired of everything looking like a potato sac on them, with straps falling off their narrow shoulders!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Began teaching myself to sew and design in Aug '09...one dress at a time!

12/2009 My Etsy shop is now open!
http://www.TeenyBunny.etsy.com
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/TeenyBunny
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TeenyBunny
NEW Blog: http://teenybunnyfashion.blogspot.com/
BecMalcomson
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009 05:48:43 AM »

Embarrassed I dont think we have a Joanns in Australia. I'm off to google cupcake fabrics though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually who are you not to be?

We are all meant to shine.

My Blog - www.playlaughsew.blogspot.com
See Sam on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockhampton-Australia/See-Sam/116230585077775?ref=sgm
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 10:52:42 AM »

The whole party looked so cute! And you can't really tell in the sweater pic that its too big. Lol, my daughter has a dress she wears to go to church with my parents, and she sits indian style on the floor and its not wide enough for her to be as comfortable as she'd like to be, so she starts yelling "stuck! stuck!" For her, i've found wider is better, but then i run into problems with the height, I've got to start making her clothes for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kristin Harmel on Her Inspiration For The Sweetness of Forgetting
Cassandra Clare on Her City of Lost Souls Launch Event
Tinsley Mortimer on Her New Book, Southern Charm
How to Stay Focused on Your Weight Loss
Alan Cumming Discusses His Macbeth Adaptation
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...