A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 New Political Opinion Embroidery Pieces! (healthcare, zines and ignorance)  (Read 4275 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , canada , vote  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 16, 2009 09:24:14 PM »

PLEASE NOTE: though i believe that crafting is inherently political, and that needlework is one of the best crafty ways to get your message across, i TOTALLY respect craftster's wishes to keep the discussions on topic, i can't imagine the riot that all of our varying politics would create! Please refer to kittykill's post about off-topic comments, and feel free to come bitch, complain, discuss or agree on my blog instead! (specific posts about healthcare, zines, and the word pimp are here, here and here)

The Healthcare Debate is Simple Really.....

i'm obviously being slightly facetious with this piece, since people die in every country. but at the same time, i'm really not. i did a whole bunch of babbling about my personal experience of losing a friend to a treatable illness due to her low income status, and my position as a Canadian about healthcare, it's all on my blog.

the stitching is rather simple, back stitch for the country outlines, and tiny tiny stem stitch for the words.

Zinesters Do It For Love!

this piece was inspired by a few things.

the first, and the main, inspiration for this is something that i've been seeing for quite a while, and something that's been bugging me for quite a while, and i've blogged a whole bunch about it here - zines aren't supposed to make money.

and the second inspiration, which is much more mellow, was those awesome 70s ringer tees with the glittery slick iron ons with phrases like "teachers do it with class", "football players do it in the end zone", "seniors do it better", etc. i found one for a friend years ago that said "musicians do it with rhythm", and i've loved them ever since.

i tried something a little different for this - i wanted to cross stitch the words, but i didn't have waste canvas small enough. i also wanted it to be a little less perfect than cross stitch usually is. so i used a cross stitch font! the font is called Home Sweet Home, and it's from 1001fonts.com. i typed it out in a word document, 42 point size, and then trimmed a piece of tear away stabilizer to 8.5"x11" and printed it right onto the stabilizer.

it was so freaking easy, i don't know why this never occurred to me before! i use tear away stabilizer for a lot of my stitching, because my stitches are so bloody tight that they tend to pull on the fabric if i'm not careful. the stabilizer helps with that,plus, it's way easier to transfer patterns onto than dark fabrics!

after i'd printed the words out, i used a pencil and traced an image of a typewriter on the stabilizer.

that's actually one of the typewriters in my collection, and i had fooled around with the photo in photoshop awhile ago, making it outlines only, so it was easy to trace. it's mostly all backstitch with 2 strands, except for the keys, which are single strand, and the typebars, which are chain stitch with 2 strands.

Saying Pimp Doesn't Make You Sound Cool, It Makes You Sound Ignorant

though this last piece is the one that started my recent spate of political pieces, and is one that i've been planning since at least january, and am very proud of, it's also the most frustrating piece, and the hardest to write about.

this piece is in direct response to the crafty/diy community, and the language we use. i wrote about the inappropriateness of this word on my blog, and also about my concerns publicly posting a piece that criticizes the community, so i really really hope you'll take a few minutes to read my post, and maybe rethink the slang terms that have crept into our language.

completely off the political topic, and onto the embroidery itself....

this piece uses stem stitch, back stitch, french knots, and chain stitch.

as i was doing the french knots, i was asking myself whatever possessed me to chose them... and thanking myself for choosing to use them on the shortest word!

i wrote out the phrase in a word file, choosing different fonts for each part.

the orange stem stitched words are "tall paul", pimp is "curlz mt", cool is "arnprior", and ignorant is "goudy stout".

as usual, if you click on the pics, it will take you to flickr, where you can see the stitching in better detail.

comments and criticisms are totally welcome, just remember to stay on topic, and head on over to my blog for the off-topicness!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009 09:26:09 PM by craftydame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009 09:43:43 PM »

i really like these designs! the stitching is just lovely. excellent work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009 09:54:14 PM »

Love them all.  The healthcare piece is my fave (yes, craftydame and I are undead Canuks!)
Putting your political opinions out there via your art/crafts is a wonderful use for your talent.
If people disagree with your opinions (and some should, because how boring would a perfect world be?), then they should craft it up too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
schnerby
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009 11:34:28 PM »

I like the combination of coloured fabircs and frames. Did you spray the frames, or did they come that way? Looks awesome.

Also, I really like way you wrote 'ignorant' using rows of chain stitch (hope I used the right stich name, computer won't scroll down for me to see now).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009 01:27:33 AM »

thank you guys!

dm, i think you saw them on flickr a while ago (hence the undead comment!), i'm super behind on posting to craftster! 

schnerby, i did paint the frames. a coat of spray primer (i like painter's touch sandable, it's way better than krylon), then a coat or two of spray paint. easy peasy! i've been painting a TON of frames and shelves lately, cause i'm getting ready to move. these three are all krylon outdoor spaces colours, though you should be aware that even if it says the same colour name, the colour IS NOT the same from can to can! i bought another can of the watermelon to finish off a project, and it's totally a different shade than the one i started with (or the one you see here!).

and yep, ignorant is in chain stitches! i love the way they look like knitting when you do them in rows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
schnerby
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009 03:01:28 AM »

and yep, ignorant is in chain stitches! i love the way they look like knitting when you do them in rows!

I'd never thought of that, but it does look like knitting.

I can't knit, but I can faux-knit through chain stitch. Hooray!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009 06:57:26 AM »

Wow, love it!
I'm Canadian, and without socialized healthcare and a government drug plan, I'd be royally screwed (bipolar, etc, over 10 hospitalizations, shock therapy, not cheap in other countries!)
Well stitched!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009 07:32:33 AM »

thank you guys!

dm, i think you saw them on flickr a while ago (hence the undead comment!), i'm super behind on posting to craftster! 

Yup, saw them on Flickr and loved them.
I want to pet the word "cool" - such a tactile piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009 08:52:23 AM »

So many French knots! Great stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009 08:53:16 PM »

I LOVE these!  I have to say thought, that I am equally enamored with your frames!  LOVE THEM!!!!  I want "fitty" of them...hahahahaaaaaaa...sorry =0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baby Blankets Ideas
Pre-Walker Baby Shoes
3 Ideas of Tops For Girls
Understanding Baby Clothing Sizes
Top Three Sun Hats for Babies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...