A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone dealt with Fire Mountain Gems?  (Read 10963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2005 06:00:28 PM »

I just ordered some new beads and chain and other various beading supplies from Fire Mountain Gems. From what I've heard, they seem to have a pretty good rep. Their prices seem really fair in the catalog, but I ended up spending about $10 shipping for only about $18 worth of goods. So I just wanted to ask: Have any of you ladies bought your beading and craft supplies with this company? Is the quality worth it? Comments and concerns are most welcome, since I have never ordered from them (or any other mail/online-order company) before for my jewelry-making supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
krafty-kritter

I'm obsessed with crafts :oD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005 06:06:43 PM »

Although I've been making jewelry for about 3 years now, I just got into purse making when I found out about this site and haven't had the chance to post anywhere else but in the purse realted topics  Cheesy

Anyways... My aunt told me about Fire Mountain Gems, so I checked out the site and got a free catalog.  I eventually ordered not that long ago and was extremely pleased with my order.  I think I spent around $20 and then had to pay about $6 shipping, but that's because I choose for them to send my stuff through the postal service which I think is the cheapest way to go.  My stuff arrived is a nicely packaged box, the quality of the items was excellent, and they even sent a free gift, which I believe they send with every order.

I absolutely love Fire Mountain Gems, and don't think I'll ever order jewelry making supplies from anyone but them in the future  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Boredom" is not in a crafter's vocabulary.

My ETSY Shop
http://sonya.etsy.com

-- ADD ME to Myspace --
http://www.myspace.com/silver_stardust
xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005 07:50:36 PM »

I've ordered from them many times, and also really love Shipwreck Beads http://www.shipwreckbeads.com

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005 09:47:55 PM »

i love fmg...I always get really quick delivery, and great quality. Also, i don't know if you ordered online, but if you call to order, the customer service reps. are super nice Smiley

melinda...thanks for the link to shipwreck beads...i saw something about them in a beading magazine awhile ago, but forgot the name. lol, so thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
paigeywithwings
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005 10:01:31 PM »

I've ordered literally thousands of dollars worth of beading supplies from Fire Mountain.  Great choice, I don't get anything anywhere else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
helenpaige.etsy.com
pixiestixchick65

"I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005 01:42:16 PM »

Wow, it's so great to hear they're as good as everyone says they are...  You can't beat that.  Surprisingly, just using the regular ground shipping was only a few cents less than 3-5 day with Fed-Ex.  Either way, I ordered a bunch of chain and their "Boss' Bag" assortment so I could get a good feel of their stuff without actually having to make any decisions on what to buy- Lord knows, if I had my choice I'd buy it all.  Have any of you bought this mystery assortment?  If you have, do share.  Jeez, I feel like a little kid on Christmas... I want my stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ciao xox
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005 02:12:30 PM »

Hi,

I've been curious about FMG too; anyone able to compare it to Rio Grande for me?

Thanks --
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
moefen
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005 04:22:17 PM »

I have just ordered from Fire Mountain, and I gotta say, amazingly quick!
The shipping was expensive ($17 cause I live in Canada), but it was the same price to get it Fed-exed or just plain mailed.  So I got it fed-exed and it got here in a day and a half.

I think the way to go, is order from Firemountain when you need LOTS of stuff, or just wait to order until its a large order.  I don't think they up the shipping price until you are dealing with lots of WEIGHT.    If you need just one thing, i would ebay, and try to find someone who can ship for 50 cents or $1.

P.s i just learned that some of the shipping costs add up real quick on ebay too!  I just ordered a bunch of stuff from one seller, whose Canadian shipping price was $6 for first item, $2 for each after.  Bloody things ended up being $18!

But definitely satisfied customer.  Oh, and ask for the catalogue, its AMAZING.  Its like a phone book of rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005 06:56:12 PM »

Interestingly, of the 3 catalogs I look through most, Fire Mountain, Shipwreck, and Rio Grande, I would say they all have different strengths.  They don't all have the same stuff.  Fire Mountain has a lot more gems and stones than Shipwreck.  Shipwreck is REALLY inexpensive.  Fire Mountain will send you their new catalog every year for free.  Shipwreck has amazing books and lampwork stuff.  Rio Grande I think of more for high-end supplies, like for metalworking, plus chain and things like that. 

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
BeadhiveGirl
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005 05:57:31 PM »

Rio Grande has great wholesale prices, but one of my favorite sites is rings-things.com They have great bulk crystal prices, and fairly good sterling prices. They're a wholesale only company, but will take a description of your business instead of any actual tax exempt documents.

Fire Mountain has good prices, but when you add the shipping, you may as well just shop at a bead store, where you get to see the beads in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local bead store!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Pepper Crusted New York Steak
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...