A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic questions about hand quilting.  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2009 07:08:26 AM »

So I did search for this but maybe I glossed over it? If you know of a thread that answers these questions let me know! I'll merge it.  Cheesy

I've never hand quilted before and I'm kind of confused about the basics.

If I'm hand quilting and using a hoop where does the knot of the thread go? Shouldn't it ideally go in between the top and bottom? How can I get it there without taking the hoop off?

How do I make sure that I'm not rethreading my needle every five minutes? Cheesy  Is there some magic way to give myself lots of thread but not create lots of knots while I'm quilting?  I'm assuming not but I figured it was worth a try.  Wink

Any general tips? I've done embroidery but never hand sewn anything except when closing up a stuffie or a purse!

Oh! One more.  Should I start quilting at one end? In the middle? Somewhere else?

Thanks ladies!  I'm planning on hand quilting a Beatles quilt for my sister and I'm using my grandfather's grandmother's hoop!  Grin  It's about 5 times thicker than the ones currently available in Jo-ann's. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009 07:19:36 AM »

There are much more talented hand quilters on here than me, but I'll answer to the best of my ability;

1. The knot does go between the layers. Basically you make a knot using the needle (I cannot even begin to figure out how to describe how to do this, but I'm sure searching for quilter's knot on youtube will find it) - then you pull the thread through the quilt and it will "pop" in between the layers, and I've never had it *not* stay there. (no pun intended.)

2. I tend to make the thread as long as my arm, doubling it over when threading it so there's about 6" of "clear" space, which I then just keep adjusting down until I'm left with only a couple of inches at the end. With quilter's thread, it doesn't knot, but it does twist (and I've never been able to solve that problem, short of holding the project up and letting the needle unwind itself.)

3. Start in the middle, and work your way out - that way you don't end up short of batting or fabric on one end, or a pucker somewhere weird.

As far as advice, just be patient with yourself. If you feel you need to, pick up some quilter's tape - it'll help keep your stitches even and straight (so you don't have one stitch 5mm and another one 2mm Smiley - Eventually you'll get int he habit of rocking your needle through all the layers, and from there in it's much easier to be even. It will seem like slow going at times, but I find the look is really worth it.

And congratulations on having a good hoop - I *hate* the ones at joanns and always borrow my mom's instead Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sincap
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009 11:57:12 AM »

After I cut a long piece of thread, I hold it up by one end, pinch the thread between two fingers on the other hand, and run the thread through the pinch all the way to the bottom. This unwinds it a bit and it tangles a lot less. 

Also, I find that it tends to tangle more if I put the needle through the fabric and just pull it straight through until it's tight. Try this: Put the needle through the fabric, grab the needle with the right hand, and hold the thread with the left hand. (your left hand is on the opposite side of the fabric from the needle.) As you pull the thread, the fingers on your left hand will make sure that the thread going into the fabric is a nice straight line and not twisting into a knot. I hope this makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009 04:02:05 PM »

Get a good, comfortable thimble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thatgirlthatquilt
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009 02:35:10 PM »

One tip passed along to me when I started hand quilting was to thread 4 or 5 needles and keep them close by, like on your pincushion.  Having several threaded needles will keep you from using pieces of thread too long that will twist up into knotty messes.

Oh, and definitely quilt from the center of the quilt.  I use either a larger standing hoop or a slightly smaller hoop that I can put in my lap.  Also, you don't want to make the quilt layers too taut in the hoop; have a little bit of "play" because that makes it easier to rock your needle back and forth between the layers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Jane... my current obsession!

www.thatgirlthatqui lt.blogspot.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009 07:28:59 PM »

Ok, well so far this is really slow going. Cheesy And I'm wondering which is better. Using one thread or doubling up?  I'm not using quilting thread I'm actually using 100% rayon because it's a gradient color and that's what I want...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009 08:29:24 AM »

Generally just one thread, but I assume your rayon thread is pretty thin.  I don't see why you can't double up if you want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009 05:14:56 PM »

Did you know they make varigated quilting thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Once Upon a Day Book Trailer
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Terrie M. Williams Talks About Black Pain
Kate Torgovnick Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...