A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting Particle Board Furniture  (Read 45567 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2005 05:46:18 PM »

Hi everyone!

I hope that you'll forgive me. While I'm a new poster, I'm not new to the site. I have been a lurker for months. I decided it was time to stop lurking and time to start posting! I had a question regarding painting particle board, and I did do a search and did not find anything that actually gave me an answer. So I hope I'm not posting something that has been asked a million times.

I have seen some great ideas done with particle board and I just bought this desk that I believe is made of it (it's white and has like a glossy look to it. Not sure if it is particle board. It was like $50 at Wal-Mart). Anyway, I'd love to paint it and customize it. I have heard that you can paint it  with Acrylic Paints, and then seal it with Mod-Podge. I've also heard that using a primer is best to make sure the paint does not chip off. Since it is a desk and will be used a lot (I'm a writer) I'd like it to last a bit.

Basically, what is the best way to make sure the paint will not chip off fast? What type of primer should I use? Is there a specific type of acrylic paint I should use? (I generally use the Apple Barrell and such company paints for my projects) Most of all, am I wasting my time trying to paint this desk? I have such little free time that I'd like to use it for something that will actually work. (I believe that that is understandable lol).

I'm open to any suggestions as well. Especially from people who have sucessfully painted their Wal-Mart cheapo desks and the like!

Thanks,
Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005 05:53:22 PM »

I totally did THIS!!  :-)  AND it turned out great.. I painted & decoupaged, mod podged & beaded!  Here's the thread link...

I used a general interior primer (I had basic wall primer left over).  I also used an interior kids durable paint... (the dark purple), interior kids wall paint (the white) and then the decoupage has about 6-10 layers of thinned decoupage.  It ended up really smooth & hard as a rock when done.  Cheesy

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24658.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005 06:00:51 PM »

Oh wow, now see I actually saw that thread and the desk and I thought someone else had made it and was showing you. I didn't even realized that you had made that desk! It sure did turn out well!

Okay so I have to get some primer. So durable paint. That makes sense lol I like the idea of using kids paint. They always have such great colors. I'll have to check it out tonight. I'd love to start on it right away.

Is there a type of primer that you recommend? I don't know anything about primer o painting walls because I'm not allowed to in my apartment.

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005 06:05:00 PM »

Thank you for the compliments  Cheesy  I really liked it when it was done... and it matched the little girl's room perfect.  To think...I hate it for so many years as it's ugly brown.  Duh Wink

I don't really have any advice for primer... mine was left over from a room makeover I did.  I am sure I bought what was on sale at the time ;-)  It was Dutch Boy interior, I think... I needed a thick primer, because my starting desk was brown.  So, I believe I had to use two layers of primer before it killed the dark color.  Since yours is already white (you aren't trying to mute out a dark color), you just need something that will create a layer for your decorative & colorful paint to "stick to."  If you want, you could lightly sand the desk... it would create the same effect (but messier & more time consuming...).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005 06:08:56 PM »

Oh...about the kid's paint.  I got mine from Walmart... because it's such a small project...the paint I got was in quart size, too.  So ya don't have to buy a whole gallon to get some REALLY cool colors.  They have chalkboard, magnetic & glow in the dark as well.  I just checked... the purple is Krylon, "Color Creations".. Kids Colors.

Here it is...
http://krylon.com/main/color_creations_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=26&sub_productid=129&content=product_details 
You can see the colors available, as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005 06:14:58 PM »

Something to be aware of, if you get the glossy mod podge, it will stick to things, such as papers, so you'd have to get the matte one, which isn't very shiny "boo hiss" but would work. Another thing I've heard that works really well, and is easy, for those particle board type pieces of furniture, is the spray paint that is made for plastic patio furniture and what not. It sticks well, and is obviously durable, since it is made to be outside...Just a few options to consider. Good luck, and post your results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005 06:41:27 PM »

Thank you both for the information! I've seen that spray paint and that may actually be a better idea since I don't get a lot of time to work on things. At least for the large parts of the desk. I'm thinking a dark blue (if you have ever seen Cruel Intentions, I'm in love with the blue walls in Kathryn's room) with black drawers. I have some stencils I was thinking of using for the actual designs. But haven't quite decided what yet. I actually have the matte mod-podge but thank you for letting me know because I was thinking of getting the gloss.

Although one idea I had was to decoupage the top of the desk and then add the gloss and then a clear plastic top over the section I would do the actual writing.

Anyway, thank you both again! I can't wait to jit Wal-Mart after work!

edited note: I just found that spray paint mentioned before. Krylon Fusion. I think I'm going to look into this. It sounds like it should work as well. And they have some great colors! The link is: http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&content=product_list

-- Lissi
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005 07:47:25 PM by ecstasia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005 08:27:52 PM »

edited note: I just found that spray paint mentioned before. Krylon Fusion. I think I'm going to look into this. It sounds like it should work as well. And they have some great colors! The link is: http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&content=product_list

-- Lissi
That's it! Good luck with your crafting adventures, keep us updated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005 02:58:55 AM »

Yeppers... good luck!  Cheesy  I am sure you won't need it though. 
Can't wait to see how it turns out, I am excited for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 8/21
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 10/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 11/29
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 5/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 9/21
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...