A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: going DIGITAL  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2009 05:03:54 PM »

Hey guys,
I've always been a traditional scrapbooker, but with all the travelling ive been doig lately i've decided to go digital. I usually just make photobooks online, but they just aren't involved enough for me anymore.

Does anyone have some usful tips to get started??

I have a macbook and am planning on buying the (not so new anymore) iWORK '09 - which has the new photo software. I was also thinking about photoshop. Or is it better to get a specific scrapbooking program OR are there enough free things online??\

Sorry, i'm a bit lost with it all. It almost makes me think it would be easier spending all my money on ribbons, pretty papers etc Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Shred Jane
Freelancer, Crafter Hobbyist

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009 08:54:55 AM »

I do not know your level of computer'ing.  If you know your way around the computer pretty well and you are a serious scrapbooker than you could have an excellent setup with the following:

Adobe Creative Suite 4:
Photoshop - do your photo manipulations here
Illustrator - do your vector / graphic creating here
InDesign - create your layouts for print here
Flash - create your photobook here or in Dreamweaver

But I think that would be total overkill for someone who is just starting out to go digital. What exactly will you be doing?

Also if you go all digital, where will you store your files will it be for the public or private.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
lylacfey
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009 10:47:39 PM »

Here's the best resource in the world for digital scrapbooking: http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/

I can't recommend it enough. I found it three years ago and fell in love. They have classes, tutorials and a large forum to teach you to become Somerset Studio level. Have you seen Somerset's new digital scrapbooking magazine. It's packed full of inspiration.

Photoshop Elements is the most popular right now for digital scrapbookers. You will find a lot of tutorials for it. I use Gimp and Paint.net. I have done a lot of scrapbooking with Paint Shop Pro. Those are the programs I love to work with. I also love Microsoft Digital Image Pro but MS stopped supporting it. So, it only has a cult following and not a lot of tutorials.

I hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009 09:13:38 PM »

thanks guys!!! I'll start looking at your suggestions and i' sure i'll be back soon with more questions Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

utotmuch
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 07:24:56 PM »

Yep, I have seen so many online scrapbooks and portfolios on the net and they are real good by the way! But, I myself would want things traditionally especially with life's memories. In my opinion, I would still go for those multi-colored papers, messy glue and colorful pens. LOVE  Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itsnikki
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009 11:39:14 AM »

Honey, it just depends. I don't know what all that program does... I have a pc... but I used gimp for the longest time, and it's free. I made some BEAUTIFUL pages on it, too. Then I bought a little drag and drop program called Memory Mixer that I still use to put the albums together. I use photoshop to make my pages and some elements/papers, and I import them into Memory Mixer and make a cute album. Not what a power user would do, I'm sure.. but it works for what I want to do.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
What Is Miso
What is Mirin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...