A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some questions about M&P  (Read 1447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009 08:49:28 AM »

So, this year I decided I'm crafting more for Christmas, roughly half of it at least, and I'm "mass producing" where possible, to save on cost, time and sanity Wink. And I've been wanting to try M&P, but Id rather have as much info going into it as possible. That being said....
Can anyone recommend a good brand of M&P, scents, colors? I'm not looking for anything "spa quality" or super expensive. (I'm in the U.S. if that makes a difference)
Also, has anyone tried adding oatmeal or herbs to M&P? I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about it, has there been issues with drain clogs or anything like that?
I'd also try to love layering, is there any particular technique? Or is it just adding the new layer after the previous one has set?

Any help, advice, worldly wisdom is very much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009 11:54:40 AM »

Nymeria and I are actually working on a thread about MP, but to answer a few of your questions:

-Definitely buy your base online, even with shipping you will save a ton of money and get a much higher quality base. In a craft store like Michael's a 2 pound block is often $10 ($5/lb) at many online suppliers you can get it for $2/lb or less depending on how large a quantity you're buying. Definitely please steer clear of "Life of the Party" which kis what they typically carry in craft stores.

-I just peeked at your profile and am trying to think of east coast suppliers to save on shipping. www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com is in ohio I think? Better than west coast at least lol! They are a good company and would definitley be "one stop shopping" for ya! Their fragrances are good, and you can get colorants and soap base there too.

-For any additive, like ground oatmeal, herbs, additional oils like shea butter, or whatever, you want to add no more than 1 tablespoon of additive per pound of soap base. At this level it will suspended in the base and you won't need to worry about drain clogs or anything. Keep in mind that colors of herbs may fade after a while. There are specific "suspension" bases if you are going to be adding stuff to all of your soaps to help it stay in suspension and not sink to the bottom.

-Basic hints/tricks: spray your molds lightly with cooking spray, after soaps are set if you can't get them out easily pop into the freezer for 10 minutes or so. If they still won't come out without too much twitsting, tip them upside down on the counter and put a warm cloth on top (or merely the warmth of your hand may work) and the suckers will pop out!

-When layering, keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol nearby. It works to get rid of bubbles caused by stirring and pouring the soap when sprayed on the hot soap, and lightly spraying each layer in before adding the next one will help them adhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009 12:37:20 PM »

Thanks so much MareMare! I've read so many articles about it that my eyes are starting to cross, and most of them don't have consistent directions! And since the winter season is fast approaching, Buffalo is getting quite chilly, I'd rather order supplies online so I don't have to go outside Roll Eyes. I'm looking to expand my "craft knowledge" other than crocheting and baking and this seemed like a fun way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009 11:00:47 AM »

I just wanted to add that Wholesale Supplies Plus is completely awesome!  You will love their stuff, and their prices are great.  Right now all their oils ship free, and it's been like that since the summer.

I am lucky enough to live 15 minutes away from their store.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009 09:25:59 AM »

I've already been "living" on their website for the past few days, and getting wayyyy too many ideas!  Cheesy I want to make a bath bucket for my nephew,  some cool soaps, crochet up some washcloth puppets, maybe make some bath crayons. He's a year old, and Id rather avoid buying toys (he and his big sister have an absolute ton!) and make him something useful. 

And I also wanna try some stuff for myself and friends, my skin gets insanely dry in the winter, tons of non-fun itchiness!

Unfortunately for the next month or so its just drool and dream over the website.....stupid bills have priority over my bank account right now :-(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009 05:00:28 PM »

i'm trying M&P soaps for Christmas for the first time this year too!

i think your bath bucket idea for your nephew is really cute!  i have a friend with an almost 4 year old, i bet that could be fun for her too!

i just bought some shea butter MP soap base and a few fragrances to try with it from the whole sale suppliers website, i'm excited to get it and try something new.  Smiley 

if you get a chance to read the q&a page maremare was talking about, it'll probably be a big help.  it really helped me clear up a few things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009 09:15:14 AM »

if you get a chance to read the q&a page maremare was talking about, it'll probably be a big help.  it really helped me clear up a few things.

So glad to hear that!

The M&P FAQ page is under major construction and MareMare and I plan to add LOTS more information over the next couple of weeks, but I'm glad to hear it's already providing some good answers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
bpddjeoomon
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 12:05:21 AM »

Any help, advice, worldly wisdom is very much appreciated!

I don't soap much (usually only around the holidays when I need a bunch of cool gifts without a stack of cash!), so I'm always looking for help on "simple" techniques.

Anyway, Anne-Marie (the CEO of brambleberry.com) does some video tutorials that are always easy for me to follow (and I always pick up some cute ideas!), so I like those.  Thought you might too.   Cheesy

Here:  http://www.vimeo.com/soapqueentv/videos/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 09:44:21 AM »

Yep, I *procrastinated* Roll Eyes at work and read the info Nymeria and MareMare set up as soon as I saw it. It clears up so many questions I had on top of what MareMare already told me, great work!

I'm so excited about this, haha. I'm sure in a few years my niece and nephew and probably some other relatives are going to be giving me the "oh great, soap? (insert other craft item here)" look. But why buy something mass produced when I can make something unique?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 09:45:10 AM »

Yep, I *procrastinated* Roll Eyes at work and read the info Nymeria and MareMare set up as soon as I saw it. It clears up so many questions I had on top of what MareMare already told me, great work!

I'm so excited about this, haha. I'm sure in a few years my niece and nephew and probably some other relatives are going to be giving me the "oh great, soap? (insert other craft item here)" look. But why buy something mass produced when I can make something unique?

QFT! Grin

And it's okay, once they realize how much better your soap is than the garbage they buy at the stores, they'll be buddying up to you in no time flat.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009 09:45:46 AM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Truth or Dare with Coco Rocha & Chanel Iman
Recipes for Radiant Skin
5 Things to Try This April 2014
How to Make an Organic Sugar Scrub
Futuristic, Aerodynamic Eyeliner at the Herve Leger FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...