A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's been awhile - shirt to dress recon x 2 (img. hvy.)  (Read 5633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2009 12:13:38 PM »

i've taken a bit of a hiatus from my jersey dresses sewing - since may, to be exact  Undecided i was teaching myself how to read patterns and do tailoring and add lining and all kinds of big-girl sewing jobs. not to mention i am redoing my sewing room (but i'm not finished with that yet, sry2say)! i decided to get back into the swing of things and crack out with some new jersey dresses... bc i missed my serger, and bc this weather is the best for knit dresses (YAY SWEATERS AND COLORED TIGHTS  Grin). soooo without further ado:

the first dress i made.
for this one, i cut a sweetheart-ish neckline out of the original shirt, and added the black band (it is a thick sweater knit) and the blue fabric (which is a rib knit). the sleeves were obvs shortened, reattached, and finished off with black knit. it's a little long on me, but ehh i'm 5'2" and everything is long on me Roll Eyes

the back - hard to see, but the shirt is ruffled/pleated where it attaches to the knit.

close-up of the front.

oh, and here is the before Cheesy hahahah
(yes i know there is green paint all over my trim and no i do not plan on touching it up anytime soon)

second dress:

well, this is the before Tongue it's vintage, and handmade. also falling apart. i repaired it as best i could.

the after! i cut the skirt out and put a black panel (silky jersey) on the midsection, shortened the sleeves and added black trim, and put black trim at the bottom. i also replaced the buttons with solid black shank buttons from my stash.
i made this one a little long so it could be worn a few different ways! Wink

can be scrunched or folded up...

or folded under for a "bubble hem" effect Smiley

the black band goes all the way around the back

close-up of the front. i may put a snap and a small button at the top... i feel like it needs to close, but there are no buttonholes up there (and i don't want to try putting in a buttonhole... that silky stuff is kind of stretchy and the buttonholes already sewn in srsly look like crap)

that's all i have for now!
thanks for looking, please let me know what you think  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 07:51:42 AM by shesxautomatic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
Le Mieux
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009 12:31:22 PM »

yay you're back! i always love your stuff, esp the jersey dresses. do you make the pattern just by measuring yourself, or do you use an old top/dress to use as a template?

my fave is the top dress - i LOVE that shirt pattern....but the versatility of the second is brilliant. check out me gushing. maybe one day i'll learn how to make something vaguely wearable as yours  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
whatamandamade
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009 01:03:45 PM »

i saw the small pic and was hoping it was you i always love your stuff! that purple dress is so cute love the purple and black. good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katieloudesigns
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009 02:45:33 PM »

The second dress is amazing; I wish I had your talent with knits
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madisonpeach
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009 07:58:17 PM »

Love it! I wish I had a dress like that/jersey. I'm also mad that I still can't find the supposed camera icon to favorite a project... Huh Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Shay
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009 07:18:35 AM »

i'm loving both of these dresses! put an awesome coat over them and they are a must for the chilly season!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christinadavinci
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009 10:49:51 AM »

I like both dresses, but the purple on is my fav! I would have worn it without the recon, but you did an awesome job!!  Very versatile and super cute as always!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Addie Marie
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009 11:34:00 AM »

I love when you post!! Smiley Both of these are super cute. I love how well the fabrics go together on the first dress!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neeners2004
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009 11:09:47 AM »

Your creations are hands-down always my favorite!  That purple dress is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dra

Life is only what you make it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009 05:20:09 PM »

They both look great
Yay for cooler weather! I love dressing for fall.
I esp. love the purple one, was the material hard to work with?
It look like its that super silky slipper fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exclusive: How to Apply a Clip-In Ponytail
Exclusive: How to Add Volume to Your Hair With Clip-In Extensions
Emma Rees Shows You How to Get a Messy Up-Do
Get A New Hairstyle Without The Commitment: Hair Chalk
How to Get a Kim Kardashian Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...