A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas needed  (Read 1031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

treehuggie
« on: October 14, 2009 06:56:19 AM »

I'm a big lurker so excuse that this is my first post.

I am doing a service learning project for school at the local woman's shelter. I would like to come up with a small simple craft project for the kids besides construction paper and elmer's glue. They would be various ages and it would be nice to somehow make it tie into Halloween since I doubt many of them will have costumes. They are mostly in situations where they have just left the abuser so the women have nothing. I have gads of cloth, vinyl, beads and generally an entire craft store available from my hoard.

Thanks so much in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009 08:22:27 AM »

Maybe simple sewing little dolls or jewelry, key chains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

treehuggie
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009 04:13:25 PM »

Thanks! I saw a tute on a t-shirt necklace, basically cut into strips and stretch. I was thinking maybe paper beads too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009 06:15:16 AM »

If you have the supplies.. simple things like colouring in might work well. You could print out the outline of a pumpkin and let them decorate their own pumpkins.
Whilst not a craft project, play dough is cheap to make, pleasant to play with (i swear it has therapeutic values!) and it can provide hours of entertainment with the most simple of tools (pop sticks, rolling pin, cookie cutters, plus any purpose made play dough toys you might have). They could create things with the play dough, and then recreate as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
treehuggie
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009 06:24:43 AM »

It's been a while since I've done kids things. I had totally forgotten about making playdough. The recipe with kool-aid smells so yummy and the kids could make it themselves!

I visited the shelter yesterday. Some of their personal spaces had little kids projects hung up that were pretty simple, like a pinwheel, and basic painting or construction paper. I think I may take some baggies and let the kids pilfer my stash to take home some goodies too. As a very crafty artsy kid I would have been miserable without supplies (and I am nearly going to cave in my attic from the weight of my hoard up there).

The rest of my group is redoing two of the rooms to make it less institutional and help them get some basic necessities that they don't have like curtains, towel sets and bedding. This shelter is unique in that they have kennels for their pets if they need to bring them so we are collecting dog supplies and will clean the kennels too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009 04:38:55 PM »

What about Hallowe-en masks?  You could use paper plates with cutouts for eyes/mouth, and decorate with beads, feathers, paint, whatever.  That way, they could have part of a Hallowe-en costume. 

Or maybe you could all work together on a large Hallowe-en mural or collage (or even a scarecrow) that could go in a communal space at the shelter to decorate it for the season.

Or carving jack-o-lanterns together (if you have a budget to buy pumpkins)... they could draw the faces on the pumpkin for you to cut out for them so there's no danger of them cutting themselves accidentally, and then they could scoop out the insides and embellish the pumpkin if they want (with markers, paint, beads etc.).  And you could roast the seeds if you wanted... 

What a nice thing you're doing - I wish you all the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
treehuggie
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009 06:30:37 AM »

I had the date wrong. We're going pre-Thanksgiving and not pre-Halloween so...I've decided not to do anything overtly holiday-ish because Thanksgiving may be a bit unhappy for them. I'm going to take general supplies like construction, scapbook paper, material scraps, beading supplies, etc. I'm going to have a few of these projects laid out or they can use their own ideas. It will be interesting to see what they like. I'm also going to print out some paper airplanes in full color in case there are boys who don't want to do something too girly.

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/insects/mcaterpillar2.htm
http://www.crafts-beautiful.com/index.php/site/project/festive_folk/
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/06/how-to_tuesdays_fabric_scrap_n.html
http://www.makingfriends.com/macrame_rwb.htm
http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/eastercrafts-03-handprintsliliescraftforkids.html
http://www.kidscraftweekly.com/printables/butterflies.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wicca_faerie
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009 10:28:25 PM »

Peg dolls are easy to make and customise. You just need some old style clothes pegs, pipe cleaners, scraps of fabic, glue, and textas for drawing on faces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry, My attention span isn't ver... *gasp* shiny thing!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pan-Fried Tofu Recipe from Chef Judy Joo
Vietnamese Steak and Asparagus Salad Recipe
Spider Roll Recipe
Rainbow Roll Recipe
Chakin Sushi Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...