A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I find a pattern for a chunky lampshade?  (Read 885 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Little B
« on: September 20, 2009 11:31:09 PM »

I saw this knit lampshade (link below) in a magazine and absolutely love it. I've searched online but the only patterns I've come across are for delicate, lacy lampshades. Any ideas where I could find a pattern for something chunky like this? It doesn't have to be free!

Thanks!

http://www.pudelskern.at/portfolio/projects/granny/granny.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009 09:25:48 AM »

Kinda neat ... easy to make without a pattern, but you would probably need to knit with broomsticks (perhaps the kind formerly used in my youth for broomstick lace) with a huge number of threads held together (because I don't think you could find rope flexible/soft enough to knit with).

You could just measure the lap you want to make the shade for, do some ribbing with those huge needles and huge rope and then figure out how much to get around the lamp shade and cast on, knitting in k1p1 ribbing until long enough (it is stretched out, by the way, so allow for that) and then casting off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009 11:21:38 PM »

I saw this knit lampshade (link below) in a magazine and absolutely love it. I've searched online but the only patterns I've come across are for delicate, lacy lampshades. Any ideas where I could find a pattern for something chunky like this? It doesn't have to be free!

Thanks!

http://www.pudelskern.at/portfolio/projects/granny/granny.html

The "yarn" looks to be roving, probably knit on size 35 or 50 needles. And it's just 1x1 rib with no shaping so all you need to do is figure out how many stitches you need to go around the shade, stretched, and cast on an even number and knit in the ribbing until it's long enough, bind off and then sew the seam and slip it over the shade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Little B
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009 11:18:24 AM »

Thanks Tephra and Riki for your help. I'm living in Kenya right now so not a ton of access to knitting stores (or at least I haven't found them yet), but will try this out when I'm at home for the holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009 04:38:32 PM »

My mom was in Kenya for awhile and she did see quite a bit of yarn  but not in separate yarn stores. I think she found them like in a department store, along with the cloth. She would go to the market and there would be stalls with fabric and yarn, if I remember right, also.

But what would work really nicely for a lamp shade is not yarn but string! Look for some interesting string and use that - what a neat lampshade that could be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Everyday Makeup Look
A Super Simple Smoky Eye That Can Transform Your Look
Suction Cups That Remove Cellulite?
DIY Wedding Day Makeup in 5 Minutes
Origins Dermabrasion Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...