A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! How to make a detachable monkey tail for a 2 year old?!?  (Read 7009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewjayded
« on: October 13, 2009 05:54:22 PM »

I'm making a monkey costume, but want the tail to be detachable so the little one can sit in the car seat.  The tail will be stiff.  How in the world am I going to make it detachable AND keep it attached and sticking out like it's supposed to when it IS attached?

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilySnape

"One psychopath per TARDIS, don't you think?"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009 05:21:50 AM »

Well, if you unbend a wire coat hanger and put it in, it should stay sticking out.  And to make it detachable, maybe you could attach it to a belt made to match the costume?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock
becauseimtrendy
Because I'm Trendy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009 02:02:29 PM »

my sister had a monkey tail when she was little. it was just a stuffed plush tail with a quilted(?) triangular tab at the top to tuck into the back of her pants. the tab was slightly padded to keep it from coming out when she was running around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not so bad bein' trendy...
bluesaranwrap
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009 02:36:37 PM »

Have the coat hanger that'll be keeping it stiff come out a bit an wrap into a ring that a belt could go through, or maybe into a paper clip like shape that could go onto his pants?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009 04:34:48 PM »

If you use wire inside the tail to keep it stiff:

What I did was take some denim (its a stiff material) and make a strip that fit around my waist and overlapped about six inches. I used this as a sort of belt and attached velcro to the ends that over lapped, so it's adjustable. Then I just safety pin the tail to the belt, and velcro it on around my waist. That way, it isn't attached to my pants, and it's much more simple to put on and take off.

Hope I helped ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxpolkadotqueenxx
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009 07:16:42 PM »

What I think would work best for taking it off and on is using some sew on snap buttons, they are easy to use and are pretty sturdy so the tail shouldn't come off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009 07:38:38 PM »

Ok, I figured it out.  The belt ideas wouldn't work for this particular costume, it's a one piece sort of like a sleeper. 

Here's what I did in case anyone is wondering:

I made the tail and stuffed it VERY firmly then inserted a coat hanger in the middle.  (I curled the ends of the metal so it wouldn't be pokey.)  Then I sewed the base of the tail onto a 4"x4" square of heavy fabric with heavy interfacing.  On the four corners I sewed on velcro facing toward the tail side.  Then I cut a slit into the seam of the costume big enough to fit the base of the tail through and sewed a 4"x4" piece of heavy interfacing on the INSIDE of the costume with velcro at the corners facing the inside.  When the base of the tail and square with velcro are inserted into the slot it connects to the velcro on the inside and everything stays nicely in place and no connectors are showing.  YAY! 

The costume is almost done, just need to sew on a hood fastener tomorrow.  Then I have to make some duck feet!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finish Sudoku
How to Guess in Sudoku
The Scanning Technique in Sudoku
The Double Scanning Technique in Sudoku
Collecting Modern Sports Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...