A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Matryoshka Swap Gallery!  (Read 6203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009 06:57:56 AM »

What the what!?! Isn't that the most awsomest thing you ever saw? I am in awe of your handy work Pinky! I find working with felt so difficult, I can't believe you used with such a large project. Did you notice the beading she did near the bottom of the pillow. I showed the pillow to my friend and she said that Pinky has "Mennonite stitching." This is a compliment as it means she has very small and stright stitching. Like the beautiful stitching the Mennonite's do on their quilts. Thank you so much Pinky I love what you made me. You were so much fun to swap with!

Hahahaha.  I'm so glad you liked everything, Ramona Q!  And I think that comment about my stitching is hilarious.  I'm completely self taught, and have never had a sewing machine, so I guess it's only natural. Tongue 

Thanks for being a great swap partner, especially for my first swap!  I can't wait until Christmas break so I can sign up for another one! I used my apron last night making dinner, and felt rather special. Smiley  I'm pretty much in love with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009 07:00:45 AM »

I'm not sure what they are made of, maybe clay? But they are so awesome!

OH.  I meant to reply to this in my other comment, but I forgot. Tongue 

The buttons are an air dry clay, painted with acrylics.  (I don't think they'll stand the test of washing terrible well.  I meant to glaze them but completely forgot.)  The necklace is made of sculpey and the jar is paper mached. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamarose22
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009 02:13:52 PM »

The paper mache glass jar is quite creative,  Did you use newspaper?  What did you use on the jar lid to make the round shape?  Did you cover a styrofoam ball?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 02:14:27 PM by mamarose22 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009 02:21:20 PM »

The paper mache glass jar is quite creative,  Did you use newspaper?  What did you use on the jar lid to make the round shape?  Did you cover a styrofoam ball?

Thanks mamarose.  I actual.y balled up some tin foil and hoped for the best. Tongue  I then used masking tape to attach it to the jar and smooth it out a bit, then paper mached the entire thing with flyers from the paper. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamarose22
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009 02:45:41 PM »

Thanks mamarose.  I actually balled up some tin foil and hoped for the best. Tongue  I then used masking tape to attach it to the jar and smooth it out a bit, then paper mached the entire thing with flyers from the paper. Smiley
I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions.  I haven't done paper mache since elementary school a long, long time ago.  What type of paste did you use and what did you coat it with before painting?  I want to try my hand at this craft again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009 02:47:07 PM »

I got a great package from sewenthusiastic. i adore everything she sent.

first up was this great bag, with appliqued dolls on front and the back, its a perfect size and i really need a black bag!

for extras (and what extras!!) she picked up this brilliant make up bag, which I really need, my old one is really crappy and yuk, and some boy shaped briefs! i love love love these!! (defintely no action shots though!)

She also made a brilliant domino bracelet (with bells!!) and a pendant to match and my favourite, she took her dolls out for a photography session. These will get framed asap. I love them...isnt she talented!!

thanks so much sewenthusiastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009 04:22:32 PM »

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions.  I haven't done paper mache since elementary school a long, long time ago.  What type of paste did you use and what did you coat it with before painting?  I want to try my hand at this craft again.

No problem at all. Smiley  It's actually the first time I've ever done paper mache, but it went pretty well.  Depending on the quality of your glue (apparently) you can use more water.  I used Elmer's which is pretty thick, and just added some water at random.  I'm not really one for measuring, but you can definitely find certain percentages online.  I found the best thing was to use a paintbrush and paint some glue on the surface first, stick down the (really small) strips of newspaper, then cover them with more glue/water.  Do a couple layers, then leave it to dry.  I put mine in front of a dehumidifier and it dried in less than a day.  No need to prep, just grab some acrylics and start painting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmakespretty
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009 06:58:08 PM »

I recieved an awesome package from Schnerby last week. She totally spoilt us!
I am amazed at the variety of things she sent, even with limited crafting supplies.

An embroidered hand towel, yoyo matryoshka hair clip and a hand sewn luggage tag.

Up close detail of luggage tag. Isn't it great?

Embroidered bag for my son to keep his toys in. Which he loves.

A set of matryoshka ATCs featuring our family. You got the details completely right on this. I am going to frame them and make a feature of them in the hallway.

A beautiful embroidered Matryoshka to hang in my sewing room. Your stitches are amazing Linda!

And this awesome scarf. It is just sooooo soft and I love the texture of it. and of course it has another cute embroidery on it.
We just got a cold front so I may even be able to use it before we head into the super hot weather..yay...

Close up of scarf.
Schnerby also sent some toys and craft supplies for the kids and some traditional chinese tea for me.
Thank you so much Schnerby, it has been great swapping with you and I hope my package arrives soon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
schnerby
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009 07:51:03 PM »

So glad it all got there in one piece. The frame for the embroidery was a real nuisance. They seemed to cut the glass just a little bit too small in EVERY frame I found! ANNOYING! Grrrr...

And, being Aussie I know you're going into summer, Mel, but I hope you can get a little wear out of the scarf before it gets too warm!

I had finished the scarf before I broke my finger, but I got a student to put the tassels on and sew on the matryoshka. I nearly had to send it as a DIY-sew-on-your-own-matryoshka  scarf Cheesy Students are so useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009 05:42:37 AM »

Firstly, a tote with gorgeously flowery matryoshkas on

I LOVE this!  I think it's my favourite item out of someone else's swap items! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Working with Rasterized Illustrator® Files
Extreme Website Makeover - Managing Assets and Working with Layer Groups
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Mock-up Navigation Buttons
Extreme Website Makeover - Preparing a Web Page Mock-up in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Website Layout Using Photoshop®
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...