A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1921 Singer 66 Treadle machine (1 million pictures and many questions)  (Read 12253 times)
Tags for this thread: singer , singer_66 , treadle_sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009 04:02:40 PM »

So for my birthday I was given the a Singer treadle machine!  It was great-great grandmother Daisy's.  She had been sitting in a storage shed for years enduring unspeakable horrors (like cold winters and bugs and mice Sad) but will have a great home now! I looked up the serial number on the Singer website and she was made in Elizabeth, NJ in 1921 and she's a model 66.  Now to the pictures, then to the questions.

(Hopefully I can replace these with better pictures tomorrow.  My camera is crap when the sun starts to go down!)

Bad pic but I love the title Cheesy

*dies*

And the feet. MY GOD, the feet.

Plus other miscellany

Alright, so when I was lifting her up I broke the treadle cable. *cry*  It's right below what looks to be an original staple.  Could I just restaple it?  What's the best method to clean this thing up? She's not bad but she needs some work. She's just sort of lumpy and bumpy. Not really rusty per se but there's something going on.   Also, would I be a terrible person if I sanded and restained her cabinet?  That's also a little lumpy and weird.  Those are my questions for now but I'm sure I'll be back with more (especially about those feet!)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013 03:13:16 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 04:35:57 PM »

you can buy a rubber one at joanne fabrics in the nations just ask the sales help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 04:41:49 PM »

ahhhh!!! I believe that is a red eye machine! what class of 66 is it?
 I have a singer 66-16( 20 years newer than yours) with the same filigree detail and yea i died when i saw it too!( snapped mine up at an estate auction for TEN BUCKS!)

That stand is lovely though! I dont know much about preserving or refinishing actual valuable furniture so i cant help you there. I just wanted to comment on your machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009 05:24:50 PM »

Ahhh a beaut isn't she!  Mine is one year older.  You can buy replacement cable for it no problem.  My mom has the exact machine, treadle also, she bought her replacement parts at her local machine shop. 

PS, I'm lusting over all the feet that came with yours, none came with mine.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009 06:00:40 PM »

you can buy a rubber one at joanne fabrics in the nations just ask the sales help.

Dang! I was *just* there but didn't think it would be worthwhile to look for one there.

ahhhh!!! I believe that is a red eye machine! what class of 66 is it?
 I have a singer 66-16( 20 years newer than yours) with the same filigree detail and yea i died when i saw it too!( snapped mine up at an estate auction for TEN BUCKS!)

That stand is lovely though! I dont know much about preserving or refinishing actual valuable furniture so i cant help you there. I just wanted to comment on your machine!

I'm not sure of the class, is there some way for me to find out?  Thanks for the love! Smiley

Ahhh a beaut isn't she!  Mine is one year older.  You can buy replacement cable for it no problem.  My mom has the exact machine, treadle also, she bought her replacement parts at her local machine shop. 

PS, I'm lusting over all the feet that came with yours, none came with mine.   Cry

yea! Even the boy was cooing over her earlier! Smiley  I think I'm going to try to fix this belt first but will definitely be going to find a replacement if that doesn't work on the first try Cheesy  The feet are amazing, right?! This is one of the few times that I'm thankful for the family's packrat tendencies!

Thanks for the comments ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 06:09:45 PM »

This here is the page i used to find out what mine is:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Sandman-Collectibles/Singer-Identification-Template.html

And if you were curious about what my machien looks like you can check my blog and click estate auctions label
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009 07:23:13 PM »

She's gorgeous! Looks a lot like the one my Grama has in her spare room. I snapped the belt on it when I was little. I took it to our local shoe repair store. He took out the staple, cut just a tiny bit off and re stapled it with a heavy duty staple or piece of wire. It works like a charm  now. He also told me that most shoe repair shops can order those belts if need be so I'd try to find out if you have one in your area. As far as refinishing it I wouldn't. Just give it a nice coat of dark Old English Oil and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009 11:44:59 PM »

She is beautiful. I thought my DH scored the machine of a lifetime when he got a 1928 Singer Treadle for free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009 04:05:29 AM »

Treadle on website
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009 06:17:12 AM »

What a beauty!
The machine is so gorgeous I didn't even notice the accompanying wood! (but I'd start with some Old English scratch cover before attempting anything more, as mentioned above)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Headshot Lighting Techniques
How to Create an Executive Portrait
How to Create Lighting in a Studio
Lighting Techniques Using 1 large light source.
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...