A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas or thoughts for broken chairs?  (Read 948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009 11:20:16 AM »

OK...I have these ugly country cheap wood chairs, you know the kind, wood base with the curved wood backing complete with slats, ie, ugly if your not into that kind of thing. 

We got them with a matching table and china display/hutch, all used, but new and hardly used. 

Here is the dilema, 2 of the chairs are broken, one backing broke off about 2 years ago, so it's just the base, and today in an effort to get my daughters foot out from between two slats, lord knows how she got it in there but I couldn't get it out, so I broke off the backing on that chair to save her.  So now I have two stools I guess, which is fine, but what to do with them now? They have these ugly turned country looking legs.......holes in the back where the backings were, I guess I shall have to use some padding and cover the bases to hide that..........

Any ideas out there........??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009 01:30:28 AM »

If you are happy to use them as stools I would sand the broken bits to make sure there are no splinters and fill the holes.(Filling the holes isnt absulutely neccesary if you make a cover.)
You can then cut a piece of foam(or use a cushion) to fit the seat and then make a cover that reaches all the way down to the ground(covers the legs) and ties onto all the legs.
We had some like this when we were kids and they had extra thick high density foam cushions (offcuts from a foam store), which made sitting at a table easy for kids. We loved them! Mum loved being able to throw the covers into the wash and the fact that we learnt to sit still at the dinner table (you wriggle, you fall off Wink)

The thing about making covers is that you can style them to suit your decor eg country/modern etc. or even let the kids choose a fabric for "their" stool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009 05:48:41 AM »

the coolest bench I ever saw was made out of a couple of broken old wood chairs and a door.  seriously.  pic
or theres a shelving system made out of tables that you oculd do with chairs too
or this scroll down a bit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009 08:29:54 AM »

kiewiet:  I love the cover idea, totally covers up the ugly legs.  I know that I want to eventually have them in my sewing/craft area, I don't want to just throw them away when they can still be used, kwim.  Or they could go into the kids room as stools for them, but then I keep envsioning them climbing onto to something and cracking a head open.   Shocked 

Twylag:  The bed side table idea is also great, we have none currently, well worse yet the bed is on the floor, we had to get rid of our wooden frame 3 years ago it was falling apart.  The upside, kids aren't falling far off the bed lol.   

Thanks for the awsome Ideas ladies......now to choose.....hehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Easy Book Covers
How to Create a Mending Kit from a Mason Jar
How to Make Animal-Themed Towels for Kids
How to Silk Screen Your Own Designs
How to Make an Egg Cozy
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...