A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,333
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self-portrait: mastectomy scars  (Read 8786 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , breast_cancer_awareness  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nodakbex
NDBex Creations

Happiest when creating

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009 11:02:29 AM »

This is my entry for the Breast Cancer Awareness challenge.

I stitched this from a photograph that I took of myself in 2006.  Almost 6 years ago (on my birthday!) I had what it is called a prophalactic bilateral mastectomy, which means I had both of my breasts removed as a preventive measure.  Although I had all the signs of getting breast cancer, I didn't have it.  I do have quite the family history though.  My mother died of it in her thirties, one of her sisters had breast cancer and one sister had ovarian cancer while her mother had breast cancer twice in her life.  After my own cancer scares, mammograms, lumpectomy, biopsies, etc., I decided enough was enough.  I voluntarily had mine removed before a lot of Hollywood celebrities made it "ok" to do.  Some people were supportive, some were not.  I'm so glad I did it though.

Here is a comparison of the piece next to the photograph:

The embroidery is reversed from the actual image.  The photograph was inspired by my desire to show the world I wasn't going to be ashamed at my scars and my "fake" breasts.  One breast has a nice, even scar while the other has a wider scar as well as a lumpectomy and biopsy scars.

I used linen and black DMC floss with a basic back stitch.

Thanks for looking at my Frankenboobies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright, 1876-1944
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 11:33:47 AM »

This is beautiful! What a strong woman you are!

I'm not sure if this is the place, but did they do a full mastectomy, did they leave some of the fatty tissue intact, or did you have implants? It looks like you have more there than one would expect after such a surgery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 11:35:21 AM »

Thank you so much for such an amazing piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sminto
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009 11:40:31 AM »

Wow. I admire your courage and bravery for sharing this. My mother also passed away from breast cancer, so I understand your fears and worries and deciding to have the mastectomy to at least not worry about cancer. Again, you're a brave woman, and thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
sorcivamp
My Crap

A Crafty Vamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009 11:54:08 AM »

Very nicely done and of course you are brave, you survived how awesome is that.  Anyone who survives has no need to be embarrassed.  YOUR AWESOME!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nodakbex
NDBex Creations

Happiest when creating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 01:07:42 PM »

This is beautiful! What a strong woman you are!

I'm not sure if this is the place, but did they do a full mastectomy, did they leave some of the fatty tissue intact, or did you have implants? It looks like you have more there than one would expect after such a surgery.

They left a little bit of breast tissue, I was told around 1%.  It was a long process to reconstruct.  Long story short, I had to have expander implants behind the muscle filled weekly for several months.  Then they overfilled them and let scar tissue form around the implant.  Then they drained the excess saline out of them and let them sit again to let scar tissue form so there is a pocket around the implants to allow for scar tissue contraction.  That's why implants were bursting open...it was the contractions from the scar tissue.  Once that was all done I had the expanders replaced with silicone implants.  I have a low tolerance for pain and it was a really painful process for me.  But again, still glad I did it!

Thank you ladies for all your positive comments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright, 1876-1944
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009 06:34:41 PM »

A courageous woman with a brave photo turned into a a moving and potent piece of embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 17
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009 08:22:01 PM »

I love you and your Frankenboobies! Lol (love that word, totally going to steal it)

Hats off to you, you are courage and strength and creativity.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009 10:15:37 PM »

What an amazing piece. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. Your strength is so inspirational!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009 10:25:01 PM »

They left a little bit of breast tissue, I was told around 1%.  It was a long process to reconstruct.  Long story short, I had to have expander implants behind the muscle filled weekly for several months.  Then they overfilled them and let scar tissue form around the implant.  Then they drained the excess saline out of them and let them sit again to let scar tissue form so there is a pocket around the implants to allow for scar tissue contraction.  That's why implants were bursting open...it was the contractions from the scar tissue.  Once that was all done I had the expanders replaced with silicone implants.  I have a low tolerance for pain and it was a really painful process for me.  But again, still glad I did it!

Thank you ladies for all your positive comments!!
[/quote]

I am in awe right now. There's no way in hell I'd do that. I'm too much of a wimp. >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maquillaje Natural Para El Día - Laura Sánchez
How to Apply Lipstick
How to Make Perfect Eyebrows
10 Incredible Makeovers to Inspire Your Beauty Transformation
VF COLLECTIONS: Vivienne Westwood Red Label Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...