A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Girls Dress - semi dragon dress!! (with mini tute)  (Read 1629 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkpalace
« on: October 12, 2009 02:14:27 AM »

Well i went to explore my sewing machine today.
I will put up a little tute - but know i am still a learner and there will be MUCH better ways of doing things.
I have never used a pattern - just make it up as i go along and still dont know much of how to use my machine other than basic stitching

Any hints from how i could make things better/easier from my tute welcome!!

It is probably close to a sz 3 or 4 (i am working on Aussie sizes being an aussie girl! - but for a 3 -4 year old).

So here is the completed dress and a close up of the bodice.
I used the tute for the infamous 'dragon' dress for the idea of the darting on the bodice.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/188520_12Oct09_IMG_7973.JPG

To start i cut the skirt and the lining (underskirt).
Skirt - 17" x 56" rectangle (dots)
Skirt linnig - 17" x 60" (yellow)

I then placed the right sides facing and sewed a straight line approx 4" from the bottom on the yellow lining to affix the dots in place. the dots hang below the bottom of the yellow fabric so it can be turned over to the right direction soon.
As i dont have an overlocker i zigzged underneath the straight stitch (which wont be seen anyhow)

I then turn the fabric up and stiitch another straight line across at the 4" mark on the right side of the fabric to better secure and i like the look of it lol!

Now the skirt is ready to be gathered at the bodice...

The bodice - i cut a 7" x 12" rectangule, folded in half and cut 2 slight triangles - to form a heart shape neckline once finished.
The small triagnle is for under the arm so cut to the open end.

Once opened it is then in the basic bodice shape. I pinched the fabric in 3 places and pinned to dart.
i started with a straight even tuck in the centre and the top and bottom darts i made narrower in the centre fanning out to a triangle on the ends to give a little body to the bodice.

Sew along the pin lines (i drew a line with chalk also!)

Next is the straps - simple 1.5" x 12" rectangulaes - pressed folded in like a book and then folded in again - sewn witha straight stitch to secure.

i then took the  completed front of bodice and i layed it on the yellopw fabric - stretching it top to bottom and pinned (as the darts allow for some stretch now) and outlined the shape for the inner lining.

i put right sides facing with the strap between and pin for sewing

The back of the dress i cut a 14" x 6" rectanlge - which i fold in half to make lined. with right sides facing I sewed elastic to each end (as i am not skilled in buttons yet) to allow give in and out of the bodice for my little one.

Fold to the top and sew edges down then turn the right way

this is basically the bodice done- i sewed dthe 2 pieces together with a straight then zigzag stitch. (i tried an overcast stitch  my my machine had tension issues and it all got too hard!!!)

Next i sewed the skirt edges together to make a cyclinder to attach to the bodice - after a number of attempts to 'smock' without success - i end up hand gathering and pinning to the bodice right sides facing.

Once i did a straight stitch all the way around to secure the 2 pieces - i then removed the pins, trimmed the overhang and did a zigzag over the edge of the fabric. I thien used iron on bias tape - and to tidy it up and secured it further with a zigzag stitch over the bias tape.

then we are finished!!

all done!!
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/188520_12Oct09_IMG_7973.JPG

Comments and crituqe welcomes and encouraged.

Please be kind as this is my first ever tuorial
and  my first attempt at:
gathering, darting and a full skirt!!

xx
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 12:14:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
pinkpalace
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 02:16:08 AM »

I know this is a kiddies dress but it is my practice run before i jump in to do an adult dragon dress!

i used a fuller skirt but i was practicing my darting bodice as in the dragon tutorial so i thought i would post here too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 03:46:08 AM »

It's adorable...........................  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
BecMalcomson
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009 03:54:01 AM »

So beautiful! and I love a tute with photos! Great colours and easy to understand. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually who are you not to be?

We are all meant to shine.

My Blog - www.playlaughsew.blogspot.com
See Sam on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockhampton-Australia/See-Sam/116230585077775?ref=sgm
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Panoramic Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...