A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BUT I wanna be a princess  (Read 1220 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2009 09:49:48 PM »

But I got no cash. I have a crown and two dresses. Im a preschool teacher so it needs to be approprate.
dress one:

The black part comes off but then it looked to plain. with the black part it just SCREAMS  I need a belt since theres a gap between the black top and were the bottom skirt part starts.

same dress with green ribbion trim.

Second dress:

I spent 5 dollars on this last halloween for a tinkerbell costume which was great. I can do anything with this dress and not feel bad cause it was cheap. I also have a pair of green tights from last year.

So how does one chage these into a nice princess costume? I can do all sorts of crafts.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009 10:01:09 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Muria
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 04:54:37 AM »

How long are the dresses?  I could see you using the first one as a base dress, and using the green as either a princessy vest, or an overskirt on the first dress (ideally both, but it looks pretty short).  Though the closest I'm coming up with for a picture is this costume: (one on the left without the shawl) http://www.simplicity.com/p-1943-costumes.aspx

You could also do something like this (presume the darker green circles are fabric roses. Saw a link for them yesterday, ah, http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewtakeahike/2009/03/knit-rose-tutorial.html , and overlook the deficiencies caused by my usage of paint): 

The green fabric would be ruched (two parallel lines of stitching perpendicular to the edge of the fabric, gathered to make it bunch up, and you can put a fabric rose at the gathers).

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but that's what I'm coming up with. Does it help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 08:35:18 AM »

hiummm thats kinda neat. The white dress is ankle length (ok ankle length on a normal person, I wear very high heels with it so its not dragging on the ground). The green dress is knee length (im short).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
mrsadams121
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009 09:22:25 AM »

maybe something like this:

using either the black or the green for the hip bump things and the shoulder poofs? and maybe dying the dress a different color if you don't like the look of the white. you can maybe do the sleeves like this:

or you can do the green dress over the white dress like this:

with maybe some added gold trim.

i'm not sure if the green would be long enough, but maybe you could split the white dress and put the green in the split like this:

hope i helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trypgirl
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009 09:49:38 AM »

Tulle. Tulle is the answer. You could make it a cool forest princess by using green tulle (super cheap - like 80 c a yard) and that green knit top. The effect for the dress would be like 3878 Miss/Miss Petite Special Occasion Dresses, just with the long sleeve top... though I would slash the arms from the shoulder to the cuff so it hung down in little strips and looked fancy. Then I would use ribbon's and fake flowers (leaves mostly) glued to the tulle and the knit to look sorta like this.. and of course a crown of ribbon, leaves and sparkly stuff. With sparkly face paint. I would use the green knit top to make the ruched (sp) top part of the dress... Like a tube  top and attache the tulle over skirt too it. So you would literally be wearing it as an dress over a dress with the flowers and leaves glued/sew to it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecraftyavenger.com  | acemonstertoys.org
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ambient Art - Manet
Ambient Art - Gauguin
Ambient Art - Degas
Ambient Art - Cezanne
How to Clean Up and Maintenance Airbrushes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...