A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrabble Afghan **Pattern on Page 7**  (Read 25394 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , scrabble , featured_project , pattern , tutorial , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

azabuey
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2009 01:12:31 PM »

What a beautiful blanket.  My parents love playing Scrabble, and something similar to this would make the perfect gift for them sometime in the future.  How many skeins of yarn did it take approximately?  Also, how did you do the white ridges between tile spots?  Is the text worked in, surface crocheted on the top, or embroidered?

It's really an amazing blanket and finishing it so quickly, I am in awe.

I used 12 full 7oz skeins of bone and less than half of a 6oz skein.  For the light country blue, I used two full 3oz skeins and one 7oz skein.  For the dark country blue,  I used most of one 7oz skein.  I used practically all of one 7oz skein of plum wine.  I used one 7oz skein of white, maybe 60% of a 5oz skein and half of a 6oz skein.  I can't remember exactly, but I think I used less than 5oz of black.  I used about half of a 7oz skein of red, and about 60% of a 7oz skein of autumn red.  The ridges between the tiles were done by single crocheting the pieces together.  I cross-stitched for the text. Most of the yarn I bought at Michael's when they were having a 2 for $5 sale on Simply Soft.  While making this project, I've noticed that Michael's carries 7oz skeins, Hobby Lobby has 6oz skeins, and Wal-mart has 5oz skeins.  I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2009 08:51:46 PM »

That is incredibly helpful, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2009 12:10:03 PM »

I love Scrabble. This rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rshefcyk01
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009 06:18:44 AM »

Is there any way that I can get the directions for this afghan?  I would love to make one for a friend.  It is the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rose
daintydoughnuts
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009 08:06:53 PM »

wow!  that is a great wedding gift!  they could even get some tiles and play on it, right? 

I desperately want to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweety28303
"She is Dangerous, She is Dangerous, I'm sure."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009 09:46:18 PM »

that is so creative! I bet it took forever to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Any quilters interested in a personal swap?
azabuey
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2009 02:23:27 PM »

Is there any way that I can get the directions for this afghan?  I would love to make one for a friend.  It is the best.

Materials:
Caron Simply Soft yarn (7oz skeins)
   Bone: 13 skeins
   Light Country Blue: 2 skeins
   Dark Country Blue: 1 skein
   Plum Wine: 1 skein
   Red: 1 skein
   Autumn Red: 1 skein
   Black: 1 skein
   White: 3 skeins
5mm afghan hook
F (3.75mm) hook
Sewing needle

Gauge:
19 rows of 19 stitches is approximately a 4 x 4 square.             

Finished Measurements:
It was about 78 by 73 inches (give or take a bit).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Board Tiles
Using a 5mm afghan hook, make 225 tiles.  (8 red, 12 dark country blue, 17 plum wine, 24 light country blue, 164 bone)

Ch 20
Row 1: Insert hk into 2nd ch from hk, yo and draw up a lp. *Insert hk in next ch, yo and draw up a lp.*  Repeat across. 20 lps.  Do not turn.
Row 2: Yo and draw thru first lp, *yo and draw thru next 2 lps; rep from * across until 1 lp rem on hk. 19 sts.
Row 3: Insert hk under 2nd vertical bar of previous row, yo, draw a lp thru vertical bar.  *Insert hk under next vertical bar, yo, draw a lp thru vertical bar; rep from * across. 20 lps.
Row 4: Rep row 2.
Rep rows 3 and 2 17 times. 
To finish, work a row of slip stitches by inserting the hk under each vertical bar across. (Dont do it too tightly like I did because itll just make it harder to crochet the tiles together.)

On one plum wine tile, cross stitch a star in black.

Assembling Tiles:
With white and an f hk, sc 15 tiles tog for 1 row.  Rep 15 times.  Sc rows tog.

First Border:
This next part is what I did, and the text in red is what I suggest would be a better idea.  The sc border I made used smaller stitches than the next border of afghan stitches where I put the names.  So, when the next border is attached to the sc border, it isnt exactly even.

With white and an f hk, sc around board working 3 scs in each corner.  Repeat first with black, and then white.

With white and an f hk, hdc around board working 3 hdcs in each corner.  Repeat first with black, and then white.

Next Border:
I dont remember the exact number of rows I made each strip of the border, but youll be able to figure it out as you make it.

The bottom and top strips are each 16 sts wide.
The strip on the right is 19 sts wide.
The left strip is 36 sts wide.  When making the strip, leave room for the tiles with the date.  Since the tiles are 19 sts wide, make the border to the right 9 sts and 8 sts to the left.  I made 6 white tiles for the date.  If I could do it again, Id make 8 tiles so that there would be a slash between the month and date and another between the date and year.  Cross stitch the date with black on the tiles.  With black and an f hook, sc each tile tog. With black, sc the tiles and the border tog, working 3 scs in each corner.

With black, cross stitch the names on each border strip.  There are three stitches between the top of the white border and the top of each letter.
I used the letters found at this link http://freepatternsonline.com/xscharts/page/abc45.htm with the exception of A, R, W, and G.

For numbers, I used http://freepatternsonline.com/xscharts/page/number3.htm.  But I changed 1 and 9.

Assemble:
Sew each strip of border to the blanket with white yarn.  Sew strip to strip with bone.

Final Border:
With autumn red, hdc around blanket twice working 3 hdcs in each corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2009 02:20:01 PM »

Awesome!  I'm a Scrabble lover so this really tickled me!  I know they had to just love that blanket - and what a ton of effort to make it too!  Just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
ShiningStar
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009 11:26:23 AM »

This is great.  Thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
bare_bear
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2010 08:33:32 PM »

I thought I'd commented before on this, but I guess not.  I love this blanket!  I hope they liked it!

It inspired me to make my own blanket, but out of fabric instead of yarn.  I can't figure out how to post on here yet, but here's a link to a scrabble quilt that I made my Mom for Christmas.  She absolutely loved it!

http://community.livejournal.com/sewing/306705.html

So thank you for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Brian Griffin
How to Draw a Porsche
How to Draw a Blue Neko Girl
Whitechapel Gallery Digital Art Exhibit: When Artists and Geeks Collide
Creating Alternate Versions of Your Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...