A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: octopus thread catcher extraordinaire (photo chubby)  (Read 9445 times)
Tags for this thread: octopus , thread_catcher , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 10, 2009 06:03:34 PM »

No PEEKING SAPPHIRE MOON !!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy

Ok so I was/am in the sea life swap and am a late sender. Why am I a late sender you might ask....because I grossly underestimated the hand work that goes into an octopus sewing notion holder and thread catcher. Smiley
Sapphiremoon is my swap partner and one of my favorite folks here on Craftster. She is beyond generous with her partners, she loves octopi and she is a kick ass seamstress. Soooooo this is the creation that just had to be made for her. Smiley
Although it is not named as I feel Sapphire should be the one to do that, it DOES have a life of it's own.
With out further ado I give you.....the sewing Octopus.

She is filled with sand as is the pillow that she sits on. I did not attach her so it would be easier to move her around or even hang her off of the sewing machine if she wanted to.

Everything that I made to go on her tentacles can be removed for easy use. We will start with the tread catcher itself

It was machine sewn but then all of the embellishments were hand done. I added German fancy yarn for seaweed, shells and pearls for sea bling. The Jellyfish is actually a pocket that holds sewing machine needles. There are two elastic hooks on the side for more sewing notions.

Back to the octopus, she is made out of tye dyed flannel and vintage polyester. The underside of her is the purple and white striped polyester and she has somewhere between 80 and 90 buttons sewn on each tentacle as the suction cups. Smiley

She has a crab buddy that is actually a tape measure and a blue seam ripper.

She has a sea weed coved scissor holder that is rather covered in sea weed. It holds three pairs of embroidery scissors.

There is a velvet and wool felt needle case that is also a fish buddy and then what sewing octopus wouldn't need a thimble as well? Smiley

Last but not least is her little pin cushion tea pot. Smiley

I see this gal and Sapphire doing magical things together. Smiley
Hope you all enjoy. I can try and to a tutorial and pattern if anyone is interested.

Much Peace to all Smiley
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009 09:03:36 AM by Tero - Reason: She has a CRAB buddy not a crap buddie..cause that would be bad... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Casey1201
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009 06:12:32 PM »

Oh my goodness. That is so worth being late for! It is beautiful and you partner is very lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009 07:49:24 AM »

OMG!!!  That is freakin' awesome.  Sapphire is gonna love it.  Great work.  I had to hit this rocks for this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009 10:20:29 AM »

Oh yes, please made a pattern for the octopus! I need such a plushie! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
jca1982
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009 02:49:34 PM »

This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'If I wasn't born a woman, i'd have been a drag queen' Dolly Parton

My etsy!
https://MidwestBeauties.etsy.com
frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009 04:20:22 PM »

OMG Tero! I LOVE THIS! Really awesome job and well worth the wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009 05:23:23 PM »

Thanks guys. It really did take on a life of its own and I just kept thinking of more and more things to add to it. The buttons all over the bottom killed. I wish I could have taken a picture of that. Maybe Sapphire will when she gets her.
I will try and come up with a way to put the pattern in the computer and post the directions in the next few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009 06:03:51 PM »

OMG tero .....ABSOLUTTTLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE amazing.... I would kill to have one of them as my sewing buddies...........(is there anything you want from me?? Wink Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009 06:06:31 PM »

OMG tero .....ABSOLUTTTLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE amazing.... I would kill to have one of them as my sewing buddies...........(is there anything you want from me?? Wink Grin)

Hell Yeah, I want me one of your tie bags !! Smiley Funny I thought of you almost as much as Sapphire when I was making this because I was trying to make something she could take to your house to sew. Something where all of her stuff was in one place and travel friendly.

I am packed out until after Halloween but I could squeeze one in after that I am thinking. Maybe we could do a personal Christmas present swap. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009 06:14:04 PM »

Hell Yeah, I want me one of your tie bags !! Smiley Funny I thought of you almost as much as Sapphire when I was making this because I was trying to make something she could take to your house to sew. Something where all of her stuff was in one place and travel friendly.

I am packed out until after Halloween but I could squeeze one in after that I am thinking. Maybe we could do a personal Christmas present swap. Smiley

hey .... you got a deal............give me some ideas of colors..... i have about 200 ties from hot pink to black.... from retro to hippie to 70's- 60's groovy"ness"............
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Stewie from Family Guy
How to Draw Vector from the Despicable Me Movie
How to a Draw a Minion from the Despicable Me Movie
How to Draw Boa Hancock
How to Find Your Niche as an Artist
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...