A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WARNING! Shipping interntationally...  (Read 2228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 10, 2009 12:18:25 PM »

According to my local P.O., effective TODAY all international packages require a new form. Not only does this new form require phone numbers for both you and the recipient, they also require that you list every single item in the box and itemize it. They only have four spaces for this area -- if you have more than four different kinds of items, you keep filling out the forms until you have everything listed, ugh!

This happened to me today while trying to ship a swap package to my partner in Canada. Of course, I was unable to ship it because I have no clue what her phone number is.

Here's a link to the customs form. The post office, of course, encourages you to fill this out online so you "don't take up too much of their time."  Roll Eyes Geez.
http://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/cp72sender_recipient.jsp

So I have an update...
These rules only apply to packages leaving the U.S. that are either (A) weighing over 4 pounds or (B) using the Priority service (including flat rate boxes).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009 08:18:31 AM by Ma Rut » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ma Rut

Swap Addict, officially.

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009 12:31:31 PM »

Sorry meant to specify Smiley This is required for packages shipped from the United States.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009 02:29:36 PM »

So is this like no matter what size I'm sending?  I have two swap partners in England for the granny daughters swap, it will be a small light weight package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009 02:40:42 PM »

Isn't that 2976-A? That form isn't new, it is the white long form that goes in the plastic envelope. It used to be required only on priority international packages (except some of the flat rate envelopes under a certain weight limit) and packages weighing more than 4 lbs, now it is required on first class international packages of 1 lb or more. The green form is still valid for first class international packages weighing less than 1 lb, or at least that is what my post office let me do four hours ago.  If you have more items to declare than fits in the box on 2976-A, you just fill out a second form and they both go in the envelope.

While there is a space for phone numbers on the paper form, it is not required, and I never fill it in. I grab a bunch of the forms when I am running low, and fill them in before I head to the post, but I also have a scale to weigh my package at home so I know which form to use.  You can see pictures of both forms at the bottom of this page: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_008.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009 03:22:15 PM »

Whew!!! My packages will be first class, bubble envelope and definitely less than a pound.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009 04:46:51 PM »

um... and what happens if you already shipped and you didn't know that you had to keep filling out forms until every item was covered?   Roll Eyes  whoops.  (ugh... it better get to Australia...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
deadbathducky
Never let the sun set on an argument with a loved one you can fix.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009 06:48:44 PM »

um... and what happens if you already shipped and you didn't know that you had to keep filling out forms until every item was covered?   Roll Eyes  whoops.  (ugh... it better get to Australia...)

lol! im sure it will
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember my mistakes,
remember you can change,
Remember that it's up to you...
to go and shape your life into
one that's worth of remembering...
-RTGO!

www.craftsbykitty.wordpress.com/
Ma Rut

Swap Addict, officially.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009 01:47:59 AM »

Hi ptarmic wumpus, yes, it was a 2976-A. This was the first time I was shipping priority internationally, so maybe that's the big difference. However, they told me that having the recipient's phone number is absolutely mandatory and they refused to accept the package without it. On the link I posted earlier, sender's and recipient's phone numbers are both required fields, when you choose to do it online.

Sorry for my crazy, frantic post yall Smiley It just made me so angry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009 09:04:58 AM »

yes but how do they know that the phone number is the right one, surely you could make something up...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ma Rut

Swap Addict, officially.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009 08:18:02 AM »

That is very true!

So I have an update...
These rules only apply to packages leaving the U.S. that are either (A) weighing over 4 pounds or (B) using the Priority service (including flat rate boxes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
String Tongue I_single Channel Video_performance_2000.Wmv
Hong String Project 2
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Body World Exhibition
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...