A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft show and friends help!!  (Read 498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Liz514
« on: October 06, 2009 12:32:03 PM »

OK, so here is the long story short.  3 of us work together, earlier this year we were all complaining about our jobs and we wanted to do something to supplement our income.  We decided to put our crafty skills together and do craft shows!  Cheesy  So we had our first big show this past weekend.  We did pretty awesome as a tent almost $1000 for ($125 2 day show).  So here is the break down (I will use numbers for people), me and 2 make tutus (we get the $ for the tutus we made individually);all of us pooled our funds to make glass pendants (split 3 way profit); 3 makes hairbows; I make headbands.  Here is the issue.  The first day 3 couldn't get her hairbows to us so we didn't have them to sell and tutus ($12-$20 each) were flying off the shelf (sold 18! which would have been more if we had bigger sizes), we had to go home and make more that night!  Sold about 27 pendants and 9 headbands.  Day 2 we have 3's bows (over 200 of them for $2 and $3 each).  This is where the issue came in: pendant and headbands sales were about the same as the day before, but our tutu sales took a dump!  The little girls would come over with their moms saying I want a tutu and we heard "well how about a bow instead, they are only $3".  We only sold 7 tutus.  It was the same size crowd as the previous day and clearly the bows are what slowed the sale of the tutus.  We have a few more shows coming up and me and 2 are stressing out about what to do.  It seems like we have competing product in our booth and most people will go for the cheaper items instead.  What should we do now?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauramartin
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009 08:34:43 PM »

I dont think your items are competing at all.  The people who won't shell out for a tutu, may have just left without even bothering to by a bow.  I sell jewelry and i have $5 pocket mirrors and $1 pins that i also sell along my jewelry.  The people who buy the pins and pocket mirrors wouldn't or couldn't afford to buy the jewelry but they can afford to buy the smaller tagged items.  Those who still want the actual item will buy the bigger priced pieces.  Also realize that different days and different shows/fairs will bring in very different people.  I do a show every year and the first day the sales are mostly smaller items because everyone is out with there kids and family and the second day is larger ticketed item sales because it is a different grouping coming out.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009 01:48:58 PM »

It's probably less of a competing product than it is you are making $3 you wouldn't otherwise make if you hadn't been offering the bows. On the other hand, if you've got a pile of 200 bows and only 7 tutus, you have a bow shop, not a tutu shop.

You might think about something else; add the price of the bows into the tutus and the tutu buyer has their pick of a "free" matching bow. Then your tutus get the headline, your customer gets a choice "freebie" and the bow maker gets their 2 or 3 bucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Mortal Instruments Book Trailer
Brian Billick Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
James Marcus Bach Talks About Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About Roadside Crosses
Robert Englund Reveals His Favorite TV Shows
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...