A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recommendation for HEAVY DUTY machine  (Read 4250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewjayded
« on: October 09, 2009 08:11:26 PM »

I want a machine that will sew leather and denim without acting like I'm killing it.  I've seen some Omega machines on ebay, are they as good as they sound?  Necchi?  What about the newer Vikings?  My 23 year old Viking that would eat through anything kicked the bucket and is more expensive to repair than it's worth.  *sigh* I loved it so. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009 04:44:13 AM »

So, your looking at some "induistrial strength" machines on eBay, huh? 

While many domestic sewing machines are high quality, sturdy, machines capable of a wide variety of sewing applications, they are, by no means, industrial or "industrial strength".  In fact, "Industrial Strength" is simply a sales term with no factual definition or meaning when it comes to sewing machines.  However, many vintage/classic models such as the Singer, cast iron straight stitch machines,  some of the Necchi's and others,  have been favored and used successfully for decades by serious dressmakers, tailors and alteration shops. They are designed to handle a wider range of materials, weigh much less and offer more versatility than a true industrial. However, a constant diet of heavy duty projects will certainly takes its toll on such a machine eventually, and they are not suited to extremely high production applications at all.

Since not all industrial machines even sew thick or heavy materials, the term industrial strength is obviously meaningless. Take it for what it is - a clever marketing term meant to confuse and mislead.

I have several buying guides on my blog that will help explain things even further.

Guide to Buying a Sewing Machine on Ebay

Industrial, Commercial Grade, Professional, Industrial Strength & More- Sewing Machine Buying Guide

If I had a 100 foot pole, it wouldn't be long enough for me to touch one of those industrial strength Omega's on eBay.

Go to your local sewing shop armed with samples of heavier items you might want to sew, and test them out yourself on any machine you are considering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009 09:50:18 AM »

I own several of the older "metal model" sewing machines  (singers and necchis)... like Sew-Classic mentioned most are not designed for constant heavy duty use but will chomp through it when called upon. I prefer to use my Necchi BU Mira for the tougher jobs, she seems to enjoy it better than my Singer 99k's. I regularly see the "BU" model Necchi's up for sale on Ebay and Craigslist. I also own a Necchi Supernova which I have been informed will perform well on heavier fabrics, multi-layers, but haven't used her for any heavy jobs yet. I recently met a man who uses a BU Mira to make Sails and has had it the same 'primary' machine for over 30 years!!! Proof enough for me, it's no easy task sewing sails, that's as heavy duty as it gets, LOL.

I also recently purchased a Husqvarna Viking "Emerald 203" new. I haven't tried it out yet on leather and canvas (or anything else for that matter, it's still in the box) but the instore demonstration was quite impressive. When the sales-lady sewed over 6 layers of denim combined with several layers of cottons, I listened CLOSELY for any motor strain sounds, NONE!!! That pretty much closed the deal for me...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009 03:06:55 PM »

Thanks for your input.  I'm not looking for a true "industrial" machine.  I was hoping to get something newer (and perhaps quieter) for occasional use on the heavy stuff.  I just found a Singer 237 on craigslist for a good price, I think I'll pick it up and try it out.  It's cheap enough I can resell it if I don't like it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...