A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Fabric - Max's wolf pajamas  (Read 6119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abandonedcouch
« on: October 09, 2009 09:48:15 AM »

This might be better suited to the Halloween board, but I have a fabric question so i figured you guys would know.

So, OpeningCeremony has released a supercute and awesome adult-sized set of Wolf Pajamas that are almost identical to the ones Max wore in Where the Wild Things Are.

Only thing is, they're $600 [!!!!!!!]. And even if I could afford such things, they're already sold out. So of course I'm going to attempt to make a set myself.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of fabric this is? It looks supersoft and I think I had a blanket made out of it once, but I'm at a loss as to what it's called.

Thanks! (Tips for sewing with said fabric would also be much appreciated as I've never sewed much of anything before).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 09:49:03 AM by abandonedcouch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009 10:29:17 AM »

It looks like Minkee or terry cloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009 10:35:02 AM »

I'm gonna guess a textured fleece.  It's a pretty simple project, I made something similar for my son, the hardest part is going to be setting the snaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mombat
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009 10:36:41 AM »

Could be Minke or maybe that furry fleece stuff. I think that you could use an adult PJ pattern and the fabric of your choice. You could use plain fleece or  if you are new to sewing and it would not be as cool but still pretty good.
Go to your fabric store and see what looks good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009 11:32:57 AM »

I keep looking at this post and thinking, "I need to make the whole family some of these!"  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 11:55:47 AM »

If you check out the description on the website, they're claiming that it's faux fur  ( http://www.openingceremony.us/products.asp?menuid=5&designerid=246&productid=10685&cn=menu5 ).  I'd agree with everyone here that it looks more like minkee, or even the furry fleece, though the tail definitely looks like every other faux fur (soft on the outside, scratchy on the inside, based on past experience, though admittedly, that was 15 years ago. Things may have improved since then).  Wink

Anything with pile (fur like quality, even regular polartec fleece) is going to have obvious seams unless you untuck the pile from the seam (I tend to do this by fluffing the fur out of the seam with a straight pin about 1/4" away from the seam, though you could use something blunter, like a knitting needle, fork tines... ).  Apart from the obvious (your seams are going to be thick), I'm not coming up with a whole lot of advice for you on sewing fur.  Oh!  If it's fur, try to cut through the back layer instead of through the fur (not really well worded, but I can't think of another way to say it) so you don't end up with a bunch of cut pile all over your work area. And I've heard that cleaning out the bobbin area on your sewing machine (you wouldn't try a project this big by hand, would you?) frequently is a big help with fur. The lint builds up quickly.

Good luck! It looks like a fun project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
ronarayas

rocking your world since 1987.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 10:26:41 PM »

I work in an elementary school and I am TOTALLY making a pair of these to wear to our Halloween Bash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm glad I haven't found my style yet. I'd be bored to death."
-- Edgar Degas
MK Venatici
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010 04:04:49 PM »

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/1032/farmtu.jpg
http://www.instructables.com/id/Where-the-Wild-Things-Are-Max-Costume-1/

I want to make one for my son his name is Max, I found these websites as I was searching for patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010 09:17:09 AM »

LOL, I made a pair for my son with the detachable hood for Christmas last year.  My little guy, just shy of 5 at the time, looked at me and said "Thank you for making these for me mom,  but I'm not going to wear this."   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010 05:21:13 PM »

I just watched this last night and noted the seam allowance in the hood (funny how that happens...) 
It was pretty obvious to me that the fabric was a faux fur based on what the seam allowance looked like and the underside of the fabric.  Also, I don't think minke would have the right stiffness that costume had.  Fleece might be a good substitute if you cannot find or if faux fur is too expensive.  You may need to put some stabilizer in the ears to help them stay up rather than floppy (which would probably be a problem with fleece).

Have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Hair Serum or Hair Oil
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Use a Round Brush
How to Style Layered Long Hair
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Round Brush
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...