A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Custom Fit Corset Pattern & Link to Tutorial - UPDATED: Part 2 Added!  (Read 17453 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missjulie
« on: October 09, 2009 07:33:40 AM »

I wanted to make my own corset and I found Roethke's tute here that was fantastic! I also found a booklet online about custom fitting a corset to your body shape. Since I have a long torso... this was useful. Really useful! So I drafted my own custom pattern using both of these things and thought I'd share how I did it. (UPDATE: Here is the finished corset!)

Like I said, I used two other sources to make my own mash-up tutorial, and I reference them repeatedly, so don't think I made this up all by my lonesome. Wink Roethke did a fantastic job on her tutorial so mad props to her and her awesome corsets! And Cathy Hay is a mastermind at fitting corsets, so mad props to her as well for sharing her booklet on corsetry. Links to both of these can be found in the tutorial, which is on my blog. I could copy and paste it here but - OMG that would take forever! And it took a long time to write the thing one time around.

Ok, here's a pic of what the FINISHED pattern will look like for your custom fit corset.

And here's a link to the tutorial.
DIY Custom Fit Corset Tutorial

UPDATE:
Part 2, Constructing Your Corset
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 09:43:46 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats because youre a part of something larger. Like
being swallowed by something larger.

http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
trypgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009 10:42:51 AM »

Awesome... I did the same thing when I was making my first underbust corset... mashed up tutorials for several different source too get a theory for my very large squishy Latin frame. Great post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecraftyavenger.com  | acemonstertoys.org
VintageGeek
Generation N

It's still cool to me, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009 11:06:12 AM »

I want to make a corset.  I really, really want to.  But I am so scared.

I just keep watching threads like this, looking for other people's finished products, trying to psyche myself up for it.

Also, your blog is awesome, and I have bookmarked it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009 11:42:05 AM »

Thanks for the corset tutorial link. I too want to make a corset, but wasn't sure where to start. Plus, I have been intimidated by the simply gorgeous and professional looking corsets around here from people who were making them for the first time (my first time projects never look that good). Nevertheless, thanks for putting all of this info together. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missjulie
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009 12:24:14 PM »

trypgirl - thanks!

VintageGeek - Its SO easy. I thought it was hard too until I did this. The boning is a little awkward, but there are ways of making that easier on yourself. Check out how Roethke puts her boning in, its easier than the way I'm going to do mine in the next part of the tute. I'm cutting long thin strips of plastic and making pockets out of bias tape for them to sit in. She cuts larger pieces of plastic and cuts them to fit the actual pieces of the corset, so there is no pocket making.

amalgam - Thanks! It really is easy Cheesy I'll try to get the second half up soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

codigauci
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 12:25:21 PM »

i read thru your tute, that looks really great, and thanks for referencing the other resources you pulled from.  i cant wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nnakpw
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 02:18:47 PM »

This is awesome! I've been wanting to attempt a corset recently, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Your tutorial is so easy to follow. Next time I hit the fabric store, I'll be in corset mode.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoquess
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009 03:32:33 PM »

Awesome tutorial. I used the same sort of process of mashing up tutorials for my first corset... I think I'm going to add your tut to my methods for my second one that I'll be making soonish. Awesome job, very clearly articulated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009 03:20:13 PM »

Thank you for sharing this. Although I'm not currently planning to make a corset, I look forward to seeing the second part of your tutorial to see how you do it--maybe next year, who knows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
missjulie
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009 09:27:42 AM »

Part 2, the construction, is up! Sorry it took so long, life got in the way! Wink

I'm almost finished with another corset in twill, rather than muslin, so I'll post pics of that when its done.

I hope to see some other peoples' corsets soon too!!

http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/diy-corset-tutorial-part-2/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Half Up Bella Thorne Hair Tutorial
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
How to Create Mermaid Curls
These Vintage Hair Dryer Photos Make Us Nostalgic
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...