A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pre-20thC Historical Swap (Signups CLOSED, Sendouts by 12/5 *Extended to 12/14*)  (Read 10519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aethelberga
« on: October 08, 2009 04:34:58 PM »

Swap name: Pre-20thC Historical Swap
Craftster members who are organizing this swap: aethelberga, Ruby Copperhead
Sign-up date range: October 8th - October 18 2009
Date to send item by: December 5 2009 ***Extended to December 14th***

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES
- Is at least 18 years old: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: YES
- If in the US, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
- If not in the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

Details of swap
Every so often there are historical swaps on Craftster dedicated to a specific period. And we love them. But why confine yourself to a few short years when you want the whole broad panorama of history to craft in? So if you like Medieval Europe AND Aztec culture, Vikings AND Edo Japan this is the swap for you.
You will be providing your partner with up to five of your favourite pre-20th Century historical periods or personages. They can craft from any or all of them. For this swap we will be crafting a small, a medium and a large item.
There is a long crafting period as there is more research involved than in your average swap (especially if you know nothing about, say, 12thC Benedictine monasteries on the Welsh marches!) Take the time to get to know your partner and craft to their tastes and desires. Check out their wist, if they have one. They will also be a font of wisdom for online resources for their historical period (if you're not already familiar with it). The more you get to know them, the more fun it gets. After you have been approved, you are welcome to post your themes in the thread. This will allow others to post links if they know of them, as well as get a discussion going. And that's half the fun of these things after all, the discussion that goes on around them.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: Pre-20thC Historical Swap
Craftster username:
Email address:
Your real name:
Mailing address including the country:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country? (yes/no):
Confirm that you are at least 16 years old (yes/no):
Are you able to take pictures of your item to post in the gallery?(yes/no):
Your Wist or blog (if you choose):
Your five historical periods or historical characters (choose 5 or up to five):
What kinds of crafts can you do best?
What kinds of crafts can you not do?
What kinds of things are you interested in receiving?
What kinds of things would you definitely not want to receive?
What are your favorite and least favourite colors and patterns?
Is there any historical period you really would not want to craft?
Do you have any allergies (smoke, cats, dogs etc!)?
Do you have any allergens (smoke, cats, dogs etc!) in your home?
Tell your partner a little more about yourself (maybe include your historical interests) as a bit of an intro:

Size and Point Guide:
Small: at least 1 hour but no more than 2 hours to complete; $5-$15 in supplies; earrings, stickers, wallet, pouch, bookmarks
Medium: 2 hours or more to complete; $15-$30 in supply value; a necklace, a bracelet, a scarf
Large: 3 hours or more crafting time to complete; $30 or more value of supplies; a shawl, a shirt, a skirt, a jewelry set (with 3-5 items), a project tote

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

If you have any questions please visit this link – it has some of the answers:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6553.0

And here's all the rest of the answers
http://www.craftster.org/swapsinfo.html

Please post in the thread or PM one of the organizers once a week just so we know you're still up and about. And remember kids,

Ars longa, vita brevis 

Partners
aethelberga <==> Ruby Copperhead
Harvey <==> aethelberga
rabbitspider <==> jungianwanderer
fiorinda <==> .:dollface:.
Jelliebean <==> Martha's AlterEgo

Gallery: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=328982.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009 05:16:30 AM by aethelberga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009 04:41:02 PM »

im signed up for 5 swaps already-ihope there is another round of this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungianwanderer
"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. "

The super-awesome and amazing Charity

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009 08:05:41 PM »

I am SO excited about this. I'm waiting on feedback for my current swap but as soon as I get it I am so sending in my questionnaire for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back after a long hiatus. Not doing any big swaps right now but feel free to message me for small ones and supply exchanges. I have a bunch of fabric that I'd like to swap for different supplies! 

Also, I have a pintrest now Smiley

http://pinterest.com/charityjones89/
Jelliebean
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009 09:18:58 PM »

I love history. c:

I signed up. c:

Yay. c:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
never_more
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009 09:31:25 PM »

Hmm, I don't know if I should be doing two swaps, but I do so love ancient Egypt! And Greece, and Rome, and Peru, and...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The purpose of art is to give shape to life."
William Shakespeare
kitkat_pro
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Mender for the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009 11:18:12 PM »

No You can do this too me Cry...... I already have 2 swaps I'm signed up for. Man this sucks I so want to do this swap...... Rome, Greece, Eygpt..... Queen Elizabeth, Templars, Celts, Arthur, Salem Witch Trails and more.......
No I can not sign up for another swap, I don't have the time........ But perhaps another round I hope..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists/Pinterest
Out of the dusk a shadow, Then a spark; Out of the cloud a silence, Then a lark; Out of the heart a rapture, Then a pain; Out of the dead, cold ashes, Life again. ~ John Banister Tabb
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 05:05:07 AM »

I have waited for this swap ever since I am on craftster. I think I even joined because a history swap was discussed  Cheesy So glad we're finally doing this!
I only realize how difficult it is to nail it down to five periods... which one should be left out? And am I a narrowminded eurocentric bastard if I keep them local to my place, because, well, I actually live in Europe? Cheesy
Well... I will have to do some work on my list... I could easily fill five favourite periods from early medieval till the dawn of time...

Congrats on the pics, aethelberga, great choice! What is the fourth one, the helmet, from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009 08:05:59 AM »

Haha, I just realized we might be the first swap that has a powerful woman and a naked guy in their swap pic! Grin Grin If this doesn't attract hoards of history chicks, nothing will Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009 09:45:09 AM »

Haha, I just realized we might be the first swap that has a powerful woman and a naked guy in their swap pic! Grin Grin If this doesn't attract hoards of history chicks, nothing will Grin Grin
That might be a tip for future swap organisers. Naked men, powerful women, Check.

And the fourth one is from the Sutton Hoo an Anglo Saxon ship burial in Suffolk England. There was some pretty amazing stuff found in that one, only recently surpassed by the AS hoard found a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 10:03:24 AM by aethelberga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angelicus
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009 01:36:33 PM »

And the fourth one is from the Sutton Hoo an Anglo Saxon ship burial in Suffolk England. There was some pretty amazing stuff found in that one, only recently surpassed by the AS hoard found a couple of weeks ago.
My mum went to see that Horde today...she said it was amazing. Hopefully I'm going to be able to go and see it before it leaves Birmingham on wednesday (queues are about 2 hours though to get in). I'm thinking hard about this swap. I really want to join but i'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time. Also I don't think I'm that knowledgeble in the areas I really enjoy. But, on the other hand its history, and interesting old history rather than bloody WW1 and 2 wich is all I seem to be doing in history at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesan dstuff.wordpress.co m

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Your Camera Light Meter
Photography Tips: Using Fill Flash
Birthday and Other Events Photography Tips
Photography Supplies and Gear For Cold Weather Shoots
3 Rules for Better Underwater Photos
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...